Competitive Enrichment for swimmers ages 6-10 years old
Fri, Sep, 23 2022 - Sun, Sep, 25 2022
Shepherd University Welleness Center
164 University Dr, Shepherdstown, WV 25443
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day Competitive Enrichment Swim Camp for swimmers between the ages of 6 and 10 years old in Shepherdstown, WV in September of 2022.
If your young, competitive swimmer has a desire to improve their technique so they can practice and race with more efficiency – this is the camp for them! This camp features 1.5 hour sessions that will hold their attention and ensure the highest level learning experience with small group sizes. If your swimmer is 11-years-old or older click here for a camp for them!
COMPETITIVE ENRICHMENT SWIM CAMP (Ages 6 to 10)
Day 1 (Friday, Sep 23): Freestyle & Backstroke Technique
Day 2 (Sunday, Sep 25): Butterfly & Breaststroke Technique
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” and attend both days!
SESSION START TIMES
DAY 1: Check in 5:45 PM, Camp 6-7:30 PM
DAY 2: Check in 9:45 AM, Camp 10-11:30 AM
This camp is specifically designed for swimmer’s age’s 6-10 years old looking to develop the essential components of efficient competitive swimming technique. This camp is for swimmers who do not have any USA Swimming Motivational Times at the “A” level or higher for 10 & unders in the particular strokes they want to attend this camp in.
Swimmers must be able to complete 1 length of the pool in either freestyle or backstroke.
THIS CAMP PAGE IS FOR SWIMMERS AGES 6-10 — If your swimmer is 11-years-old or older click here for a camp for them!
Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same body position, posture, rotation, and an early “catch” to move down the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso around their spine. Today, your swimmer will improve their freestyle and backstroke technique!
- BODYLINE: Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core for better technique in freestyle and backstroke. Participants will learn how even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference in creating more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes - for faster swimming!
- ROTATION: Freestyle and backstroke are fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming both strokes has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a connection from head to toe with every stroke they take!
- KICKING: A swimmer’s kick is the motor behind their freestyle! There are proper and improper ways to kick which we will review at the camp. Just as important, however, is practicing how and when to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster kickers!
- PULL: The pull in both freestyle and backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. On each day of this camp, your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling your swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the freestyle and backstroke arm-pull keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Butterfly and breaststroke utilize similar body position, “undulating” movements, and an early “catch” to get across the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers do not rotate their body at the spine, as is done in freestyle and backstroke. Rather in butterfly and breaststroke, swimmers bend at the hips to generate power and forward momentum. Today, your swimmer will work to improve their butterfly and breaststroke technique!!
- Butterfly Technique: Butterfly is the second fastest stroke and beautiful to watch because of its rhythmic and powerful strokes. Swimmers during this session will work to develop a the foundation needed to create a strong, well timed & fluid butterfly stroke!
- BODYLINE: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly during this session!
- PULL: The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward!
- TIMING: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
- Breaststroke Technique: A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. This session will strengthen their technique and lead to a stronger breaststroke!
- BODYLINE: Breaststroke is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. Breaststrokers focus on minimizing drag by “catching water” on their hands and feet as quickly as possible, so they can shoot back into a “straight bodyline” where they can glide at top speed.
- KICK: Our clinicians will work with participants to strengthen their kick for the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants at this session will focus on setting up a proper "catch" and keeping their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull. The techniques your swimmer will practice will minimize resistance and enable them to maintain forward momentum for the fastest breaststroke.
- TIMING: A flowing breaststroke is the result of proper timing between a swimmer’s hands and feet. Establishing proper timing in your swimmer’s breaststroke will allow for more fluidity, power and speed. Participants in this session will learn how to time their breaststroke!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter & Faster give away item!