Past Clinic: 2021 Hutchinson Swim Camp
Sat, Sep, 18 2021 - Sun, Dec, 05 2021
Hutchinson Middle School
1365 S Grade Rd SW, Hutchinson, MN 55350
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Hutchinson, MN.
White Bear Area YMCAInfo
White Bear Area YMCAInfo
St. Cloud Area Family YMCAInfo
New Prague Aquatic CenterInfo
New Prague Aquatic CenterInfo
Fitter and Faster is excited to be coming to Hutchinson, MN! This camp is designed for all competitive swimmers ages 10 & Over. Sign up for the 4 session bundle for maximum learning and SAVINGS!
–> Session 1: High Performance Freestyle Technique (Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM)
–> Session 2: IM Transitions & Underwaters (Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:30-3 PM)
–> Session 3: Explosive Starts (Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM)
–> Session 4: IM Strategy (Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:30-3 PM)
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
December 4 (Session 1): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will make swimmers faster and reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. 2-time Olympian Joao De Lucca will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle techniques.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Joao De Lucca will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke.
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Joao De Lucca will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
December 5 (Session 2): IM Transitions, & Underwaters
The turns throughout an IM are essential! On day 1, participants will work with Joao De Lucca on different IM transitions and underwaters to maximize momentum into and out of every wall!
- IM TRANSITIONS: The back-to-breast transition has a couple of ways that swimmers can approach it. Joao De Lucca will work with participants to finesse their IM transitions and explore different types of transition turns to have the tools to go from the backstroke to the breaststroke leg the fastest way possible!
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will work on transitioning all of their speed and momentum from the butterfly leg into their backstroke leg through a snappy, tight open turn. If swimmers go through the motions of an open turn or have bad technique, they can lose valuable time in a race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, Joao De Lucca will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
December 5 (Session 3): STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block, the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Joao De Lucca has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on being explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Joao De Lucca will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the quickest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
December 5 (Session 4): IM STRATEGY
Go out hard or go out strong? Which IM leg should be pushed harder? Joao De Lucca will help participants understand different types of pacing and strategies for IM events to race smarter AND faster!
- IM STRATEGY: Every IM swimmer has a different strategy that they have developed over years of practice and racing. At this session,Joao De Lucca will work with swimmers to develop a deeper understanding of utilizing their own unique strengths and weaknesses to build a customized race plan that will help them swim faster!
- STROKE PACING: There are many ways for a swimmer to adjust their strokes to maximize efficiency or speed. Lengthening distance per stroke at key times in an IM can help conserve energy. Swimmers can also prioritize tempo in their stroke to try to accelerate or finish strong! Elite athletes know themselves and how they need to adjust their strokes. Participants will learn how to seamlessly change these elements within their strokes to maximize the effectiveness of their strategy.
- IM RACING: Many swimmers have different strategies while racing, especially when in the IM’s! Swimmers will need to adjust their racing strategy based on how they stack up among their competitors during the race. Swimmers will work with their Joao De Lucca on balancing energy expenditure while competing against others to find the ideal combination for IM races!
- STRATEGY REINFORCEMENT & PRACTICE: Swimmers will work with Joao De Lucca on finessing different IM racing learned during the session. They will then practice during a swim set developed by Joao De Lucca and the Fitter and Faster coaching team to help swimmers maintain their strategy and technique through fatigue!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.