High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Sep, 18 2021 - Sun, Dec, 05 2021
Hutchinson Middle School
1365 S Grade Rd SW, Hutchinson, MN 55350
High Performance Swim Camp Series – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This 2-part swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their movements and develop strategies to race FASTER! Each camp consists of two days, and each day focuses on essential skills to help swimmers drop time! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
September 18-19: Ages 10 & Over
Session 1: Explosive Starts, Underwaters & Breakouts
Session 2: High Performance Butterfly Technique
Session 3: Flip Turns, Open Turns & Finishes
Session 4: High Performance Breaststroke Technique
- September Session Times:
- Session 1 & 3: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM
- Session 2 & 4: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15 -3 PM
December 4-5: IM Race Strategy
- 11 & Under: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM
- 12 & Over: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15 -3 PM
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Session 1 (September 18): STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block, the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz has spent countless hours coaching starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on being explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Todd Schmitz will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the quickest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
Session 2 (September 18): High Performance Butterfly Technique
Participants will work with Olympic coach Todd Schmitz to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with their clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Our elite clinicians will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
Session 3 (September 19): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Coach Todd will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push-off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Todd to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Session 4 (September 19): High Performance Breaststroke Technique
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation, now they will work with our clinicians on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and exhaust themselves. Coach Todd will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. The clinicians will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on the body. Learn how elite swimmers times their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
Fast racing is all in the details. Over two days, swimmers will focus on each component of racing fast in the IM! Participants will work with elite clinicians to develop a deeper understanding of high performance concepts that are incredibly important to racing at an elite level.
Day 1 (December 4): Butterfly & Backstroke IM Strategy
The turns throughout an IM are essential! On day 1, participants will work with our elite clinicians on different IM transitions and underwaters to maximize momentum into and out of every wall!
- IM TRANSITIONS: The back-to-breast transition has a couple of ways that swimmers can approach it. Our elite clinicians will work with participants to finesse their IM transitions and explore different types of transition turns to have the tools to go from the backstroke to the breaststroke leg the fastest way possible!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, the clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will work on transitioning all of their speed and momentum from the butterfly leg into their backstroke leg through a snappy, tight open turn. If swimmers go through the motions of an open turn or have bad technique, they can lose valuable time in a race!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
Day 2 (December 5): IM Strategy
Go out hard or go out strong? Which IM leg should be pushed harder? Our clinicians will help participants understand different types of pacing and strategies for IM events to race smarter AND faster!
- STRATEGY: Every IM swimmer has a different strategy that they have developed over years of practice and racing. At this session, our Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers to develop a deeper understanding of utilizing their own unique strengths and weaknesses to build a customized race plan that will help them swim faster!
- STROKE PACING: There are many ways for a swimmer to adjust their strokes to maximize efficiency or speed. Lengthening distance per stroke at key times in an IM can help conserve energy. Swimmers can also prioritize tempo in their stroke to try to accelerate or finish strong! Elite athletes know themselves and how they need to adjust their strokes. Participants will learn how to seamlessly change these elements within their strokes to maximize the effectiveness of their strategy.
- IM RACING: Many swimmers have different strategies while racing, especially when in the IM’s! Swimmers will need to adjust their racing strategy based on how they stack up among their competitors during the race. Swimmers will work with their elite clinicians on balancing energy expenditure while competing against others to find the ideal combination for IM races!
- STRATEGY REINFORCEMENT & PRACTICE: Swimmers will work with our clinicians on finessing different IM racing learned during the session. They will then practice during a swim set developed by our clinicians and the Fitter and Faster coaching team to help swimmers maintain their strategy and technique through fatigue!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.