Past Clinic: Butterfly, Breaststroke, and Overcoming Challenges
Sat, Mar, 24 2018
Fort Bend ISD Aquatics Practice Facility
16701 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77083
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Houston, TX.
Start out every butterfly and breaststroke race with an advantage by attending this high performance swim clinic where Paralympic medalist and World Record Holder Tucker Dupree will teach your swimmer the key components to technique for a faster butterfly and breaststroke as well as how to overcome challenges.
Tucker will lead two sessions designed for competitive swimmers of all ages and ability levels.
Tucker Dupree began to lose his vision at age 17. Rather than viewing visual impairment as a set-back, he describes it as an opportunity through which he has been able to represent the USA, compete at the highest level, and give back to the swimming community. Tucker Dupree embodies the true spirit of competitiveness, resiliency and work ethic. Learn how to get up after a setback and come back even harder and faster!
Butterfly does NOT have to be the hardest stroke. Tucker Dupree will teach his favorite drills and exercises to help each participant find an efficient butterfly stroke.
- Body Position: Stay horizontal in the water and close to the surface to reduce drag and maximize your speed.
- Arm Pull: Extend your arms forward and then utilize a strong catch with vertical forearms to put the pressure on the water in the correct direction.
- Kick: How much should you bend your knees in your butterfly? Tucker will help each partcipant feel the proper fly kick technique.
- Breath: Most swimmers struggle with how to keep their breath as low as possible. Trust in Tucker and work on keeping your chin in the water when you take a breath.
- Timing: Timing is everything in butterfly. The way that the kick, pull, and breath work together will take a good butterflyer to a great racer!
Breaststroke technique is not intuitive. It requires knowledge of proper form and patience in its execution. Work with one of the most talented and hard working swimmers AND teachers in the country on perfecting this challenging stroke.
- Kick: The three pieces of the kick are your hips, knees, and feet. Learn how to position them to jump off the water with each kick.
- Pull: Bigger isn't always faster! Learn the right size of pull as well as how to attack forward with each stroke.
- Timing: Patience is the key to fast and efficient breaststroke timing. Think to yourself "pull, kick, glide" to get more out of every stroke.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tucker questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics. Learn about how he lost 80% of his vision and overcame this challenge to become a Paralympic medalist and World Record Holder!
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tucker swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tucker's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!