Past Clinic: 2021 Race Strategy Camp: 200’s & 100’s
Sat, Aug, 21 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
4751 S, Vernon Ave, McCook, IL 60525
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of McCook, IL.
Central Park PoolInfo
Whitmore Lake High SchoolInfo
Illinois Valley YMCAInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
Pleasant Prairie Rec PlexInfo
Livonia Athletic DistrictInfo
Elkhorn High SchoolInfo
McHenry Highschool Upper CampusInfo
New Berlin Eisenhower Middle-High SchoolInfo
Byron High SchoolInfo
West Carrollton YMCAInfo
Waterford Kettering High SchoolInfo
Fitter and Faster is producing 2 camps in Western Springs, IL on November 27 & 28, 2021. Your swimmer will learn various strategies that elite swimmers have executed with top results in 100's and 200's across every stroke.
Race Strategy & Execution Camp (Nov. 27 & 28, 2021)
Day 1: Fast 200's
Day 2: Fast 100's
Scroll down for details on the curriculum!
SAVE when you purchase a 2-day "Bundle" or you can buy individual tickets for one day.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (both days):
11 & Under: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:15 PM
12 & Over: Check in 4:45 PM, Clinic 5-8 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY 1: FAST 200’S! DAY 2: FAST 100'S!
“How should I swim this race?” How many times have you heard this? Swimmers of all ages and abilities have the same question. There are many different ways to swim a fast 100 and 200 in every stroke. The name of the game is understanding all the different ways to execute the race and seeing what works for you! On Day 1 of this camp the focus will be exclusively on 200’s. On Day 2 the focus will be on the 100's.
- STRATEGIES: At this camp your swimmer will learn various strategies that elite swimmers have executed with top results. Before your camp you will be emailed links to several elite level races of 100 and/or 200 yards/meters across all strokes, along with a brief summary of each. At the camp we will discuss and practice those strategies.
- "EASY SPEED": Establishing stroke length with the proper tempo after the breakout is essential to setting up a strong 100 and 200 in any stroke. Going as fast as we can with ease is the key to “easy speed”. We don’t want to kick or pull too hard on the first 25 in the 100 or the first 50 in the 200. This will cause early fatigue. Swimmers will work on techniques to swim as fast as they can in all strokes with “easy speed”.
- CONTROL: Your elite clinician will teach participants how to manipulate their speed and energy at different points in a race.
- FRONT-END & BACK-END SPEED: The first half (front-end) and second half (back-end) of the 100 and 200 can be “broken up” to ensure an effective plan. Some swimmers go out really fast and hang on, while others control the first part of their race, then try to “back-end” the race at full speed. Testing new strategies at this camp will give your swimmer confidence in their next race.
- UNDERWATER KICK COUNT: Underwater Kick Count: Figuring out the optimal number of kicks off each wall is essential to a fast 100 and 200. Your underwater strategy is likely to be different in the 100's versus 200’s. A swimmer wants to spend only the absolute necessary amount of time underwater to establish speed with each length. We want to avoid losing our breath and/or taking weak kicks.
- BREATHING PATTERN: Establishing a breathing pattern will help the swimmer stay focused and relaxed on their own swim. It will also help them finish the race with enough oxygen to close the race at full speed.
- ESTABLISHING A PLAN: A racer should have a plan for the race before it is swum! What’s your plan for front-end and back-end speed? How much time will you spend underwater before your first breath? How often will you breath each length?
- TEST THE PLAN IN PRACTICE: Now we test it! Swimmers will do a complete short set at the end of the session to practice racing the plan and stroke under race conditions. We’ll get off the blocks and practice some front end swims, push some back end swims, and race some straight 100’s or 200’s depending on the sessions.
- CONFIDENCE: One of the essential elements to dropping time and swimming fast is being willing to try new strategies when swimming a race. It’s ok to feel nervous and a little bit uncomfortable before your race! Entering a race with a strategy will help your swimmer with their confidence… and that confidence will help propel them to the results they aim to achieve.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!