2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Jun, 26 2021 - Sat, Nov, 27 2021
Boston Sports Institute
900 Worcester St, Wellesley, MA 02482
High Performance Swim Camp Series –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This two-part camp series is designed for swimmers to refine their skills and strategies across a variety of events! Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with a talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
September 11-12: Race Strategy Camp: 100’s & 200’s
November 27-28: High Performance Speed & Power Camp
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for which group to sign up for and for more details on the curriculum.
September & November Camps:
Saturday: Check in 4:45 PM, Clinic 5-8 PM
Sunday: Check in 4:45 PM, Clinic 5-8 PM
Saturday: Check in 2 PM, Clinic 2:15-4:45 PM
Sunday: Check in 10:45 AM, Clinic 11-1:30 PM
Race Strategy Camp: 100’s & 200’s – September 18 & 19
– Group A: 200 yd Freestyle: 2:20 and faster
– Group B: 200 yd Freestyle: 2:21 and over
– Group A: 100 yd Freestyle: 1:15 and faster
– Group B: 100 yd Freestyle: 1:16 and over
High Performance Speed & Power Camp – November 27 & 28
– Group A: 100 yd Freestyle: 1:03 and faster
– Group B: 100 yd Freestyle: 1:04 and over
Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race strategy for events 100 and 200 yards in ANY stroke. By learning how to vary components of technique, pacing, and tempo, participants can take their racing to the next level in any stroke. Saturday will focus on events 200 yards in length. Sunday will focus on swimming a fast 100 yard race.
SEPTEMBER 11: SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Our clinicians will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase a swimmer’s efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Participants will work with our elite clinicians to find the appropriate distance per stroke for their 200.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategizes their 200 yard races differently! The clinicians will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the main pace approaches. Whether participants like to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
SEPTEMBER 12: SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming 100-yard races require unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the balance between underwaters, breathing pattern, and sprinting are key to having a fast 100! Our elite clinicians will work with participants to find this balance and how they can apply it to race faster!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Swimmers will observe and practice how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. The clinicians will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow swimmers to improve their 100 speed!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
This two-day camp focuses on building speed and power through technique as well as in and out of the water training. Participants will work with our elite clinicians to develop a deeper understanding of high performance concepts that are incredibly important to racing at an elite level. Please bring paddles, fins, and a t-shirt to swim in for each session!
NOVEMBER 27: DEVELOPING POWER AND DYNAMIC WARM UP
While strength training helps swimmers get stronger, working on power exercises in the water helps to strengthen swimming-specific movements. Developing power will help participants be more efficient and stronger in the water!
- IMPROVING POWER IN STROKE TECHNIQUE: Swimmers are taught drag is bad! However, ADDING resistance as a training tool causes swimmers to alter their technique and highlight any deficiencies. Removing that resistance then allows swimmers to feel those differences in technique and build power in their stroke technique. Our clinicians will take the swimmers through some resistance training techniques during this camp!
- RESISTANCE TRAINING: Resistance not only helps expose places to strengthen technique but also is a huge way to build power. Hand paddles, rubber tubing with a belt, even swimming with a T-shirt and shoes in the water can help add resistance and develop power!
- DYNAMIC WARM UP: Get ready for every practice and competition with a short dynamic warm up routine! Brett will take participants through a combination of light cardio exercises and dynamic stretches. This is an excellent way to get the blood flowing to the muscles and loosen joints to prepare for training and racing. Being properly warmed up will also help prevent injuries.
NOVEMBER 28: SPEED, DRYLAND, AND RECOVERY
Swimmers can significantly change their race strategy by adjusting just two aspects of their stroke - distance per stroke and tempo. The elite clinicians will coach swimmers to help their tempo and speed, as well as review, changes dryland exercises designed specifically for developing strength and power in swimmers as well as techniques for recovery from dryland and swimming workouts.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmers tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help swimmers swim as fast as possible.
- DRYLAND FOR SWIMMING: Dryland training is designed to build strength, increase flexibility and to become a more well-rounded and agile athlete. Swimmers will learn age appropriate, simple body weight exercises that will strengthen their core and major muscle groups to complement the training done in the pool.
- MAINTAINING TECHNIQUE THROUGH STROKE TECHNIQUE: When swimmers get tired, it’s the easy choice to revert to sloppy technique in order to make the interval and finish the set. Choosing to focus on technique through fatigue is the difficult decision, but more beneficial in the long run. Participants will learn from their clinicians how to handle fatigue in practice and races.
- RECOVERY: While training is important for swimming faster and gaining strength, recovery is just as essential to continue training at a high level. While you can buy expensive products to help you recover, our clinicians will walk through some of the most important things to get your body ready for the next session.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!