2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, May, 22 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
2800 Kettering Dr, Waterford, MI 48329
2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series: This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine the movements on the most explosive parts of each race: starts and turns as well as develop their freestyle racing skills. Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
May 22-23: Comprehensive Starts Camp
September 11-12: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
November 27-28: Comprehensive Turns Camp
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Days):
(MAY 13& Under) 11 & Under: Check in 10 AM, Clinic 10:15-12:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 1:45-4:45 PM
Our elite clinicians will lead two sessions at each camp for each age group. This series is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
This swim camp will help swimmers maximize their speed during the fastest part of every race: the start. Saturday will focus on starts from the block and well as how to maintain that speed with underwater dolphin kicking and an explosive breakout. Sunday will cover backstroke starts and relay exchanges.
MAY 22: STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Olympic Gold Medalist Cierra Runge has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Cierra will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap!
MAY 23: BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
Swimmers will build on the concepts learned on day one to further refine their starts specifically in backstroke and relay events. Backstroke starts can be difficult to master, but by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push off, and clean entry, participants will practice exploding off every start. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Cierra will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a powerful and beautiful backstroke start so swimmers can execute a solid beginning to their race.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Relay exchanges are one of the trickiest skills to master in swimming. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange!
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this comprehensive freestyle racing camp! Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers. Then on Sunday, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a freestyle training set.
SEPTEMBER 11: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Our elite clinicians will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: he best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. The clinicians will work with swimmers on how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
- BREATH: Timing is everything! The clinicians will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SEPTEMBER 12: FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED
The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Depending on a swimmer's race, their distance per stroke might change. Longer distances require extended, efficient strokes to save energy. Shorter events might need to have to increase the number of strokes taken to go faster. Participants will work with our clinicians to discover the proper stroke counts for different event lengths.
- TEMPO: Swimmers' tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: At this session, Our elite clinicians will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo to limit fatigue and increase efficiency to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Did you know that the fastest that a swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every open turn into a well-timed finish.
NOVEMBER 27: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Your Elite Clinicians have spent countless hours practicing flip turns and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap!
NOVEMBER 28: OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. They will follow up with discovering faster ways on how to break a streamline into a strong underwater pullout.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with our clinicians to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap AND a Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!