2021 High Performance Backstroke & Turns Swim Camp Series
Sat, Feb, 13 2021 - Sun, Feb, 28 2021
Raleigh Swim Center
3500 SW 78th Ave, Portland, OR 97225
2021 High Performance Backstroke and Turns Swim Camp Series – This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers ages 14 and under to enhance their racing performance in backstroke and to refine turns in every race.
February 13-14***: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp with Atiba Wade and Michael Salazar
February 27-28: Comprehensive Turns Camp with Coach Atiba Wade and Olympian Kim Vandenberg
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum covered at each session.
***The February 13 & 14 camp is being postponed due to the weather. We will have a new date soon. All registrants will be automatically transferred to the new date.
This camp is designed for swimmers ages 14 & under. The clinicians will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on best times.
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on fast and efficient backstroke technique. The second day will cover applied speed and race strategy, as well as backstroke starts.
FEBRUARY 13: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Coach Atiba Wade and Olympic Trials qualifier Michael Salazar to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Atiba and Michael will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
FEBRUARY 14: BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Atiba Wade and Michael Salazar will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Atiba and Michael will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Atiba, Michael, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every open turn into a well-timed finish. This camp will be led by Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg and Coach Atiba Wade!
FEBRUARY 27: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Coach Atiba Wade and Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg have spent countless hours practicing flip turns and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
FEBRUARY 28: OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Atiba Wade and Kim Vandenberg will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn. Swimmers will also focus on driving their momentum into the wall for a strong finish for any race!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Atiba and Kim. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!