Past Clinic: 2021 High Performance Backstroke & Turns Swim Camp Series
Sat, Mar, 27 2021 - Sun, Mar, 28 2021
Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center
15707 SW Walker Rd, Beaverton, OR 97006
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Beaverton, OR.
Snohomish Aquatic CenterInfo
March 27 & 28
High Performance Backstroke Racing Camp – Whether backstroke is your best stroke or your worst, everybody can learn a lot at this two-day backstroke racing camp designed for swimmers to improve their technique. Day one will focus on backstroke technique from the foundations to the advanced nuances of elite level backstroke. On day 2 swimmers will work on putting it all together and refining the components for maximum speed.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Elite Clinicians Olympic Legend Gary Hall, Jr. and National Champion Felicia Lee!Scroll down for more details on the curriculum covered at each session.
Group A: Sign in: 6:45am. Camp 7:00-10am
Group B: Sign in 10:15am. Camp 10:30-1:00pm
This camp is designed for swimmers ages 14 & under. Gary and Felicia will lead two sessions per camp for each group. Sessions are based on your swimmer’s 100 yd backstroke time:
Group A: 100 yd Backstroke: 1:12 and faster
Group B: 100 yd Backstroke: 1:13 and over
MARCH 27: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Olympic Legend Gary Hall, Jr and National Champion Felicia Lee to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Gary and Felicia will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
MARCH 28: BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Gary Hall, Jr and Felicia Lee will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Gary and Felicia will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Gary, Felicia and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Gary and Felicia questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Gary and Felicia swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Gary and Felicia, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!