Past Clinic: 2021 Sprinting Race Strategy & Execution Camp
UNO Lakefront Arena Aquatic Center
6801 Franklin Ave, New Orleans, LA 70122
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of New Orleans, LA.
Susan B Vincent SportsplexInfo
Riverside Country ClubInfo
UNO Lakefront Arena Aquatic CenterInfo
We look forward to returning to New Orleans, LA on November 27 & 28! Sessions are broken up by your swimmer’s fastest 100 yard freestyle time. Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase the 2-day bundle for your swimmer’s group!
Racing Your Fastest 50’s and 100’s – (Nov 27 & 28, 2021)
-> DAY 1: Race Strategy & Execution: 100’s of all strokes!
-> DAY 2: Sprinting and Your Fastest 50’s!
The sessions for this camp are determined by your swimmer’s fastest 100 yard freestyle time:
Group A: 1:03 and faster
Group B: 1:04 and over
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on this camp. Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Select a curriculum below
DAY 1: Race Strategy and Execution: 100's (Nov 27)
“How should I swim this race?” How many times have you heard this? Swimmers of all ages and abilities have the same question. There are many different ways to swim a fast 100 in every stroke. The name of the game is understanding all the different ways to execute the race and seeing what works for you!
- STRATEGIES: At this camp your swimmer will learn various strategies that elite swimmers have executed with top results. Before your camp you will be emailed links to several elite level races of 100 yards or meters across all strokes, along with a brief summary of each. At the camp we will discuss and practice those strategies.
- "EASY SPEED": Establishing stroke length with the proper tempo after the breakout is essential to setting up a strong 100 in any stroke. Going as fast as we can with ease is the key to “easy speed”. We don’t want to kick or pull too hard the first 25, this will cause early fatigue. Swimmers will work on techniques to swim as fast as they can in all strokes with “ease”.
- CONTROL: Your elite clinician will teach participants how to manipulate their speed and energy at different points in a race.
- FRONT-END SPEED & BACK-END SPEED: The first 50 (front-end) and second 50 (back-end) of the 100 can be broken up to ensure an effective plan. Some swimmers go out really fast and hang on, while others control the first 50 and try to back-end the race at full speed. Testing new strategies at this camp will give your swimmer confidence in their next race.
- UNDERWATER KICK COUNT: Figuring out the optimal number of kicks off each wall is essential to a fast 100. A swimmer wants to spend only the absolute necessary amount of time underwater to establish speed with each length. We want to avoid losing our breath and/or taking weak kicks.
- BREATHING PATTERN: Establishing a breathing pattern will help your swimmer stay focused and relaxed on their own swim. It will also help them finish the race with enough oxygen to close the race at full speed.
- ESTABLISHING A PLAN: A racer should have a plan for the race before it is swum! What’s your plan for front-end and back-end speed? How much time will you spend underwater before your first breath? How often will you breath each length?
- TEST THE PLAN IN PRACTICE: Now we test it! Swimmers will do a complete short set at the end of the session to practice racing the plan and stroke under race conditions. We’ll get off the blocks and practice some front end swims, push some back end swims, and race some straight 100’s.
- CONFIDENCE: One of the essential elements to dropping time and swimming fast is being willing to try new strategies when swimming a race. It’s ok to feel nervous and a little bit uncomfortable before your race! Entering a race with a strategy will help your swimmer with their confidence… and that confidence will help propel them to the results they aim to achieve.
Day 2: Sprinting & Your Fastest 50's (Nov 28)
At this session your swimmer will practice the essential components to high performance sprinting.
- BODY POSITION: A competitive swimmer’s body position is the key to fast swimming. Most swimmers are NOT hydrodynamic in the water - and that has a big effect on how fast they “allow” themselves to swim - especially as they get older. Let’s find the right body position for your swimmer.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: Lengthening their stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- TEMPO: When sprinting short races young swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will find the appropriate tempo to maximize their own personal speed.
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: Apply the skills you learned today to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Sessions will be based on swimmer's 100 freestyle times: Group A: 100 freestyle time of 1:03 & faster Nov 27: Check in 3 PM, Clinic 3:15-6:15 PM Nov 28: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30-4:30 PM Group B: 100 freestyler time of 1:04 and over Nov 27: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2:30 PM Nov 28: Check in 9:30 AM, Clinic 9:45 AM-12:15 PM These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!
Learn techniques to move through the water with more speed and efficiency by learning from South African National Record Holder Tayla Lovemore! Participants will connect to Tayla's excitement and encouragement throughout the entire camp. Don't miss out on learning from a champion at this camp!