New Orleans, LA
2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Apr, 17 2021 - Sun, Sep, 19 2021
UNO Lakefront Arena Aquatic Center
6801 Franklin Ave, New Orleans, LA 70122
High Performance Swim Camp Series – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
To enhance the instruction for each swimmer, sessions at this camp series will be separated into groups based on
April 17-18: IM Racing & Strategy Camp
September 18-19: Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
The clinicians will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on time standards.
Fast racing is all in the details. Over two days, swimmers will focus on each component of racing fast in the IM! Saturday will cover strategy and pacing for the butterfly and backstroke legs, underwater dolphin kicking, and open turns. Then on Sunday, participants will work on finishing strong in the breaststroke and freestyle legs of the IM, breaststroke pullouts, and the crossover turn.
APRIL 17: BUTTERFLY & BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY
Many swimmers struggle with how to pace the first half of an IM so that they're racing as fast and efficiently as possible without spending too much energy. Elite Clinicians will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in each of their IM races. He will also work with the swimmers on underwater dolphin kicking and open turns to get in and out of every wall faster!
- BUTTERFLY TO BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY: In this session, your clinicians will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. He will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers push off the wall and simply go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, John will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout faster than ever before.
- OPEN TURNS: Technique for a great open turn starts over 5 meters out from the wall by making sure that swimmers time their last stroke to touch at full extension. Then from there the open turn is a backwards spin initiated by driving your knees aggressively into your chest and tucking your chin. This process allows a swimmer to carry their momentum through the turn and into an even faster streamline.
APRIL 18: BREASTSTROKE & FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. The key is finding the right tempo on the breaststroke and freestyle lengths to allow a swimmer to accelerate to the finish without losing momentum. This session is all about the pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM as well as breaststroke pullouts and the fastest turn your swimmer can do to transition from back to breast: the crossover turn.
- BREASTSTROKE TO FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length. Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke as well as freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- IM TRANSITIONS: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. The clinicians will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race strategy for events 50 and 100 yards in any stroke. By learning how to vary components of technique, pacing, and tempo, participants can take their racing to the next level in any stroke. Sunday will focus on events 100 yards in length. Monday will focus on swimming a fast 50 yard race.
SEPTEMBER 18: SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming a 100 yard race requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but our Elite Clinicians are some of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Your clinicians will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
SEPTEMBER 19: SWIMMING A FAST 50
Swimming the 50 is all about perfectly executing the details of the race and swimming with explosive power. A swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming. The arm pull, breathing, timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, your swimmer will work with Elite Clinicians to find ways to be more explosive in their stroke technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Your clinicians will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!