New Orleans, LA
Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s
Sat, Nov, 27 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
UNO Lakefront Arena Aquatic Center
6801 Franklin Ave, New Orleans, LA 70122
November 27 & 28, 2021: Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race strategy for events 50 and 100 yards in any stroke. By learning how to vary components of technique, pacing, and tempo, participants can take their racing to the next level in any stroke. Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, November 27: Participants will focus on swimming a fast 100 in ANY STROKE.
Sunday, November 28: Swimmers will focus on swimming a fast 50 in ANY STROKE.
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician Tayla Lovemore!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
12 & Over:
Saturday: Check in 3 PM, Clinic 3:15-6:15 PM
Sunday: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30-4:30 PM
11 & Under:
Saturday: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 9:30 AM, Clinic 9:45 AM-12:15 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming a 100 yard race requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but Tayla is one of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Tayla will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 50
Swimming the 50 is all about perfectly executing the details of the race and swimming with explosive power. A swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming. The arm pull, breathing, timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, your swimmer will work with Tayla Lovemore to find ways to be more explosive in their stroke technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Tayla will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!