2021 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, May, 15 2021 - Sun, Aug, 29 2021
301 Maple St, Lititz, PA 17543
High Performance Swim Camp Series –SAVE by signing up both days of one camp or multiple days across multiple camps!
Two of the most challenging skills in swimming are butterfly and sprinting. This camp series will cover both! At the first camp participants will refine their butterfly technique and the second camp is focused on strategy in your sprint races! Our world-class clinicians will work with your swimmer to improve their skills and confidence at these camps!
May 15-16: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
August 28-29: Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15-2:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 3:15 PM, Clinic 3:30-6:30 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Saturday will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On Sunday, participants will learn advanced racing skills including underwater dolphin kicking, and take their stroke to top speed. This camp will be led by National Champion Tom Luchsinger and Elite Clinician Katrina Konopka!
MAY 15: BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with Tom Luchsinger and Katrina Konopka to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Tom and Katrina on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Katrina and Tom will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common issue/mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
MAY 16: BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will refine their racing skills and apply speed to their butterfly. Elite Clinicians Tom Luchsinger and Katrina Konopka will work with swimmers on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency while maintaining a solid technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Swimmers will discover how changing speeds might change stroke count but shouldn't change stroke efficiency.
- TEMPO: Tempo is how fast or slow a stroke is completed. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. faster tempos are more tiring but increase speed. Participants will work on different butterfly tempos and discover how to apply that to their racing.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed and applying it is vital for every swimmer!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Tom, Katrina and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race strategy for events 50 and 100 yards in any stroke. By learning how to vary components of technique, pacing, and tempo, participants can take their racing to the next level in any stroke. Sunday will focus on events 100 yards in length. Monday will focus on swimming a fast 50 yard race.
AUGUST 28: SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming a 100 yard race requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but our Elite Clinicians are some of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Your clinicians will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
AUGUST 29: SWIMMING A FAST 50
Swimming the 50 is all about perfectly executing the details of the race and swimming with explosive power. A swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming. The arm pull, breathing, timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, your swimmer will work with Elite Clinicians to find ways to be more explosive in their stroke technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Your clinicians will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap AND a Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!