North Potomac, MD
Past Clinic: 2021 Summer League Swim Camp Series
Sat, May, 29 2021 - Sun, Jun, 06 2021
Westleigh Recreation Club (Outdoor)
14900 Dufief Mill Rd, North Potomac, MD 20878
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of North Potomac, MD.
Ocean County YMCAInfo
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation Facility (WARF)Info
Carter Athletic Center at North Cross SchoolInfo
Batten Center at Virginia Wesleyan UniversityInfo
Goshen Aquatic CenterInfo
Hollidaysburg Area High SchoolInfo
NL Aquatic CenterInfo
George Mason Aquatic and Fitness CenterInfo
Lionville Community YMCAInfo
2021 Summer League Swim Camp Series –SAVE by signing up both days of one camp or multiple days across multiple camps!
These swim camps are designed for summer league swimmers to refine their movements on the most explosive parts of each race: starts and turns. Swimmers will discover how to increase their speed and momentum in order to drop time in every race!
June 5-6: Fast flip and open turns and finishes
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
June 5-6 (Both Days)
BOTH AGE GROUPS: Check in 8:15 AM, Clinic 8:30 AM-11:30 AM
The clinicians will lead two sessions at each camp for each age group.
Did you know that the fastest that a swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive flip turns, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every open turn into a well-timed finish. This camp will be led by Elite Clinician and National Champion Austin Surhoff and Canadian national champion Will Pisani!
JUNE 5: FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Austin Surhoff and Will Pisani will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race!
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, Will and Austin will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap.
JUNE 6: OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. They will follow up with discovering faster ways on how to break a streamline into a strong underwater pullout.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Austin and Will to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICK RECAP: Swimmers will reinforce skills they worked on in the previous session to apply their underwater dolphin kick speed and power to butterfly events.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap.