2021 Comprehensive Swim Camp Series
Sat, Apr, 24 2021 - Sun, Aug, 15 2021
Northwood High School
4515 Portola Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92620
2021 Comprehensive Swim Camp Series – This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to continue to refine their technique and racing skills in all breaststroke events. Participants will progress in the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power.
August 14-15: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician Keri Hehn!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
August Session Times:
Group B: Check in 10 AM. Camp 10:15-12:45 PM
Group C: Check in 1:15 PM. Camp 1:30-4 PM
Group A: Check in 4:30 PM. Camp 4:45-7:45 PM
Groups are based on swimmer’s 100 yard breaststroke time
– Group A: Boys 1:15 and faster, Girls 1:19 and faster
– Group B: Boys 1:16-1:31, Girls 1:20-1:31
– Group C: Boys 1:32-1:52, Girls 1:32-1:58
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. Saturday will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. Sunday will focus on breaststroke specific racing skills as well as strategies for faster racing from the 50 to 200 breaststroke.
AUGUST 14: BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games, you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation, now they will work with our elite clinicians on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and exhaust themselves. The clinicians will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Glenn will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how Glenn times his breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
AUGUST 15: BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
After building a solid breaststroke stroke on day 1, Participants will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. Keri will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any breaststroke race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Swimmers will focus on swimming breaststroke with speed and efficiency, as well as accelerating in and out of every wall and executing powerful pullouts.
- TEMPO: Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible. The swimmers will work with their clinicians on different tempos for different breaststroke races!
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. However, It may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events. Swimmers will play with stroke counts and how it pairs with tempo to hone in on how to adjust Distance per stroke for different races.
- PACING: Especially in breaststroke racing, it’s important for swimmers to get into a rhythm. While a 50 breaststroke is all about a fast turnover and snapping the kick, a 200 breaststroke is almost a different stroke with a strong pull, powerful kick, and long glide. Participants will explore different ways to split each event for faster racing!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool. Participants will practice how to utilize this skill in their breaststroke swims!
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Keri and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s breaststroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!