2020 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Jun, 27 2020 - Sun, Sep, 20 2020
Rockville Swim and Fitness Center
355 Martins Ln, Rockville, MD 20850
2020 High Performance Swim Camp Series – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their underwaters and breakouts across all strokes, as well as delve into technique and strategy for faster butterfly racing. Participants continue the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power. Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
*This series is limited to 36 participants per session
June 27-28: High Performance Underwater Racing Camp with National Champion Tom Luchsinger
September 19-20: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Camps):
11 & Under: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 4:45 PM, Clinic 5:00 PM-8:00 PM
Your Elite Clinicians will lead two sessions at each camp for both age groups. This series is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
JUNE 27: FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE PUSH OFF TO BREAKOUT
The speed that your swimmer has after they push off the wall can easily go to waste if they don't have the proper technique to maintain their momentum into the first three strokes of freestyle and backstroke. This session focuses on establishing a strong streamline, aggressive underwater dolphin kicks, and explosive freestyle and backstroke breakouts.
- STREAMLINES: A good streamline is all about eliminating as much drag as possible to move through the water faster. Very few swimmers actually know how to streamline correctly. Your swimmer should be fully engaged from fingertips to toe tips with a strong core and proper body alignment. National Champion Tom Luchsinger will work with each swimmer to not only understand the techniques needed to have the best streamline possible, but he will also help the participants FEEL what it's like to move through the water with less drag.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite level swimmers have learned that they are faster underwater than they are on the surface... with the proper technique. They've figured out how to weaponize their underwater dolphin kicking to set themselves apart from the crowd by going 15 meters (the maximum distance you're allowed to go) every time! Attaining this speed is not as hard as you think. It takes the right technique, focus, and practice, but your swimmer can do it too! Learn from one of the best swimmers in the world in this session and get closer to achieving the dolphin kick of your dreams!
- FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE BREAKOUTS: Don't overlook the breakout! Both the timing and technique of the breakout are equally important to be able to maintain the momentum from the underwater dolphin kick into the first few strokes of swimming freestyle and backstroke. Your swimmer will work on keeping their head in line as they transition into their flutter kick, and they'll practice taking their first stroke with power and efficiency as they break the surface tension to launch themselves forward.
JUNE 28: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE PUSH OFF TO BREAKOUT
When the fastest swimmers in the world push off the wall in butterfly and breaststroke races, their goal is to maintain the momentum from the push off and then accelerate into their breakout so that the first three strokes are at maximum speed! At this session, Tom Luchsinger will work with the swimmers to find ways to maximize their breaststroke pullout as well as the first few strokes in butterfly and breaststroke races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The breaststroke pullout is a challenging skill to master due to the importance of patience and timing. If your swimmer completes each step too slowly or too quickly, they'll lose momentum. There is a fine line between breaking your bodyline too soon and slowing down. Your swimmer will finetune their technique as well as their timing on when to engage the dolphin kick and how long to hold each glide phase.
- BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE BREAKOUTS: In both butterfly and breaststroke breakouts, it is important to breakout with the proper body position with hips high in the water. If the ascent is too steep, your swimmer will drag their hips through the first few strokes. Tom will work participants in these sessions to breakout faster in fly and breast races!
SEPTEMBER 19: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with their clinicians on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Your clinicians will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SEPTEMBER 20: BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. The Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any butterfly race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Participants will focus on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- KICK COUNT: Counting dolphin kicks off of each wall is another way your swimmer can switch up their strategy in butterfly races. By tracking how long they stay underwater, they will have a better streamline and breakout on each turn!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your Elite Clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!