Past Clinic: 2020 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Aug, 22 2020 - Sun, Sep, 20 2020
Texas Ford Aquatics
8353 Legacy Drive, Frisco, TX 75034
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Frisco, TX.
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every butterfly race (plus improve in the IM!). Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Saturday will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On Sunday, participants will learn advanced racing skills and take their stroke to top speed.
This camp will be led by National Champions John Shebat and Maxime Rooney as well as Olympic gold medalist Townley Haas! They not only swim at the highest level but they are also exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
12 & Over Group 1 (Birthdate after 2/1/2007): Check in 7:30 AM, Clinic 7:45 AM-10:15 AM
11 & Under: Check in 11:00 AM, Clinic 11:15 AM-1:15 PM
*If you registered your swimmer for this group and they have turned 12 years old since, please remain in this session time
12 & Over Group 2 (Birthdate before 2/1/2007): Check in 2:15 PM, Clinic 2:30 PM-5:00 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will have limits on the number of swimmers per lane to maintain social distance. We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
John, Townley, and Maxime will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
National Champions John Shebat and Maxime Rooney and Olympic gold medalist Townley Haas will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with John, Townley, and Maxime on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. John, Townley, and Maxime will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED, TURNS, & FINISHES
Take your butterfly racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. John Shebat, Townley Haas, and Maxime Rooney will work to take the solid butterfly foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any butterfly event. This session will also allow your swimmer to learn how to maximize their speed into and out of every turn and at the finish.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John, Townley, and Maximequestions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John, Townley, and Maxime swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with three of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John, Townley, and Maxime, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!