2020 Explosive Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, May, 23 2020 - Sun, Jun, 07 2020
4850 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30044
Notice: This camp was originally scheduled for March 28 & 29 and April 4 & 5, but it is being rescheduled for May 23 & 24 and June 6 & 7. All registrations will be transferred automatically. The safety of our participants and staff is our top priority. As a company we are following the recommendations of the Center For Disease Control, the National Institute of Health and local officials in which we have camps throughout the United States. We hope you and your families stay safe and healthy! We look forward to seeing you at our swim camp! Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
2020 High Performance Swim Camp Series – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their movements on the most explosive parts of each race: starts and turns. Participants will continue the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power. Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
May 23 & 24: Explosive Performance: Starts Camp with Kim Vandenberg and Joey Reilman
June 6 & 7: Turns & Underwater Racing Camp with Coach Chase Bloch and Keith Murphy
*Each session is limited to 36 swimmers!
Both camps in this series will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
This series is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
MAY 23 (SATURDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg and SEC Champion Joey Reilman have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Kim and Joey will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
MAY 24 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
Swimmers will build on the concepts learned on day one to further refine their starts specifically in backstroke and relay events. Backstroke starts can be difficult to master, but by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push off, and clean entry, participants will practice exploding off every start. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Kim Vandenberg and Joey Reilman will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
JUNE 6 (SATURDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Coach Chase Bloch and Keith Murphy will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
JUNE 7 (SUNDAY): UNDERWATER RACING
When the fastest swimmers in the world push off the wall, their goal is to maintain the momentum from the push off and then accelerate into their breakout so the first three strokes are at maximum speed! At this session, Chase Bloch and Keith Murphy will work with swimmers to establish a strong streamline, maximize their underwaters, and explode into the breakout for each stroke.
- FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE BREAKOUTS: Don't overlook the breakout! Both the timing and technique of the breakout are equally important to be able to maintain the momentum from the underwater dolphin kick into the first few strokes of swimming freestyle and backstroke. Your swimmer will work on keeping their head in line as they transition into their flutter kick, and they'll practice taking their first stroke with power and efficiency as they break the surface tension to launch themselves forward.
- BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE BREAKOUTS: In both butterfly and breaststroke breakouts, it is important to breakout with the proper body position with hips high in the water. If the ascent is too steep, your swimmer will drag their hips through the first few strokes. Chase and Keith will work participants at this session to breakout faster in fly and breast races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!