Past Clinic: 2020 Explosive Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Jun, 06 2020 - Sun, Jun, 07 2020
4850 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30044
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Atlanta, GA.
Greenville County Aquatic CenterInfo
Cumming Aquatic CenterInfo
The Fort Mill YMCA at the ComplexInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
The fastest swimmers in the world know how to take advantage of the “free speed” after pushing off every wall. On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on getting into and out of each wall as fast as possible. Then on Sunday, participants will work on maximizing the underwater off each wall into an explosive breakout, no matter the stroke.
This camp will be led by National Champion John Shebat, NCAA All-American Kyle Darmondy, and Olympian Luis Martinez! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45 PM-3:00 PM
Sunday: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:15 PM
12 & Over (Both Days): Check in 3:30 PM, Clinic 3:45 PM-6:30 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 3 to 4 swimmers per lane (max 30 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
John, Kyle, and Luis will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. National Champion John Shebat, NCAA All-American Kyle Darmondy, and Olympian Luis Martinez will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): UNDERWATER RACING
When the fastest swimmers in the world push off the wall, their goal is to maintain the momentum from the push off and then accelerate into their breakout so the first three strokes are at maximum speed! At this session, John Shebat, Kyle Darmondy, and Luis Martinez will work with swimmers to establish a strong streamline, maximize their underwaters, and explode into the breakout for each stroke.
- FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE BREAKOUTS: Don't overlook the breakout! Both the timing and technique of the breakout are equally important to be able to maintain the momentum from the underwater dolphin kick into the first few strokes of swimming freestyle and backstroke. Your swimmer will work on keeping their head in line as they transition into their flutter kick, and they'll practice taking their first stroke with power and efficiency as they break the surface tension to launch themselves forward.
- BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE BREAKOUTS: In both butterfly and breaststroke breakouts, it is important to breakout with the proper body position with hips high in the water. If the ascent is too steep, your swimmer will drag their hips through the first few strokes. John, Kyle, and Luis will work participants at this session to breakout faster in fly and breast races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John, Kyle, and Luis questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John, Kyle, and Luis swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with three of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John, Kyle, and Luis, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!