Past Clinic: 2020 Comprehensive Swim Camp Series
Sat, Feb, 06 2021 - Sun, Feb, 07 2021
Richard E. Workman Sports & Wellness Complex
1301 N Maple St, Effingham, IL 62401
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Effingham, IL.
Azionaqua Swim Club (Outdoor)Info
Muscatine Community YMCAInfo
Cole Center Family YMCAInfo
Rock Island Activity CenterInfo
North Pointe Aquatic CenterInfo
Merkel Aquatic Center (Outdoor)Info
West Lafayette High SchoolInfo
Inwood Athletic ClubInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
NKU Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Pleasant Prairie RecPlexInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Comprehensive Breaststroke Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. Saturday will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. Sunday will focus on breaststroke specific racing skills as well as strategies for faster racing from the 50 to 200 breaststroke.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp are Olympic Gold Medalist Clark Smith and Coach Atiba Wade! They are known for their detailed technical knowledge and are exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9:00 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:30 PM
Clark and Atiba will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than one year of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith and Coach Atiba Wade will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Clark and Atiba will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY
Take your breaststroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Clark Smith and Atiba Wade will work to take the solid breaststroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any breaststroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient breaststroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Especially in breaststroke racing, it’s important for swimmers to get into a rhythm. While a 50 breaststroke is all about a fast turnover and snapping the kick, a 200 breaststroke is almost a different stroke with a strong pull, powerful kick, and long glide. Learn how to properly split each event for faster racing!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Clark and Atiba. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your Clark, Atiba, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s breaststroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark and Atiba questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Clark and Atiba, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!