Past Clinic: 2020 Comprehensive Racing Camp Series
Sun, Dec, 27 2020 - Tue, Dec, 29 2020
Swim Atlanta Sugarloaf
4850 Sugarloaf Pkwy #702, Lawrenceville, GA 30044
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Lawrenceville, GA.
Cherokee County Aquatic CenterInfo
Boaz Recreation CenterInfo
Two-Day High Performance BUTTERFLY Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days.
To enhance the instruction for each swimmer, sessions at this camp series will be separated into groups based on
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Sunday will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On Monday, participants will learn advanced racing skills including underwater dolphin kicking and take their stroke to top speed.
Session sizes are limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Olympian Santiago Grassi and NCAA All-American Kyle Darmondy! Not only are Santiago and Kyle world-class athletes, but they are also insightful teachers who will help your swimmer improve at this camp. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Santiago and Kyle will lead two sessions for each group based on time standards.
DAY 1 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Olympian Santiago Grassi and NCAA All-American Kyle Darmondy will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Santiago and Kyle on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Santiago and Kyle will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
DAY 2 (MONDAY): BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. Santiago Grassi and Kyle Darmondy will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any butterfly race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Participants will focus on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- KICK COUNT: Counting dolphin kicks off of each wall is another way your swimmer can switch up their strategy in butterfly races. By tracking how long they stay underwater, they will have a better streamline and breakout on each turn!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Santiago, Kyle, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Santiago and Kyle questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Santiago and Kyle at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Santiago and Kyle, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!