2020 Comprehensive Elite Performance Series
Sat, Nov, 28 2020 - Mon, Dec, 28 2020
901 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Two-Day Comprehensive Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on fast and efficient backstroke technique. The second day will cover applied speed and race strategy, as well as backstroke starts.
This camp will be led by NCAA All-American Ryan Coetzee. Ryan not only swam at the highest level but is also an exceptional teacher with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
Ages 10-12: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
Ages 13 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
Ryan will lead two sessions for each age group. Swimmers ages 10-12 will have sessions in the morning and the 13 and over age group will be in the afternoon. Swimmers younger than 10 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SUNDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer to compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with NCAA All-American Ryan Coetzee to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Ryan will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
DAY 2 (MONDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Ryan Coetzee will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Ryan will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- KICK COUNT: Counting dolphin kicks off of each wall is another way your swimmer can switch up their strategy in backstroke races. By tracking how long they stay underwater, they will have a better streamline and breakout on each turn!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Ryan and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Ryan questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Ryan at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Ryan, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!