2019 Swim Camp Series
Sat, Sep, 07 2019 - Sun, Sep, 15 2019
Mott High School
1151 Scott Lake Rd., Waterford, MI 48328
2019 Swim Camp Series (Waterford, MI) – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for multiple sessions!
This exclusive swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their technique and racing skills in all freestyle races. Participants will continue the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power. Your swimmer will also have the opportunity to have their all of their strokes professionally filmed and analyzed by a US Olympic coach! Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
- September 7-8: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp with Olympian Brett Hawke
- September 15: Elite Video Filming and Analysis by Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz
Each swim camp in the series will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All days of Comprehensive Racing Camps)
11 & Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-12:30 PM
12 & Older: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-5:00 PM
There are two age groups at each camp: 11 & under and 12 & over.
*Comprehensive Stroke Camps: Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for the stroke camps without your coach’s approval.
*Video Analysis Session: all ages and abilities
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
September 7: Day 1 Comprehensive Freestyle: Turns, Breakouts, and Freestyle Finishes
In the 1650 yard freestyle, there are a total of 65 flip turns and breakouts. Even the slightest improvement to each one will add up to a huge drop! Each turn is an opportunity to build speed and carry it into the breakout and the next lap. At these sessions, Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will work with the participants to improve their flip turns, breakouts, AND finishes!
- FREESTYLE FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then use their core and arms to get through the turn. They’ll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Brett will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- FREESTYLE BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add extra movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into their first few freestyle strokes.
- FREESTYLE FINISHES: There are many nuances to a fast freestyle finish that are often done incorrectly. Your swimmer will learn to get on their side with their arm extended and touch under the surface of the water with their fingertips. Many races are won and lost by 100ths of a second. Give your swimmer a better chance to be on the winning side!
September 8: Day 2 Comprehensive Freestyle: Technique and Strategy for Racing Faster
Freestyle is the stroke that is swum more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits will not only help your swimmer race faster, but it will also help prevent injury. Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawkewill lead participants through a drill progression that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help them create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODY LINE: Your swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker by learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Brett will also teach swimmers to get maximum extension and a powerful finish. Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Brett will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
September 15th: Elite Video Series and Analysis
Have your swimmer’s stroke professionally filmed SIMULTANEOUSLY above and below water at strategic angles! THEN, have that video analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actually video by Olympic Coach Todd Schmitz. Schmitz has coached six swimmers to Olympic teams - including Olympic superstar Missy Franklin from the time she was 9-years old though the 2012 and 2016 Olympics. Registrants can have one or save by having all four strokes analyzed! Each participant will also receive one free month of Swim Videos on Demand!
- SIGNING UP: Select to have one stroke filmed, or SAVE by choosing to have two, or all four strokes filmed. The option of all four strokes can not be split between more than one swimmer. We will then email you with more instructions on how the filming day will be conducted.
- ANALYSIS: Todd Schmitz will use a video analysis application to record his thoughts on each video. Swimmers can expect him to use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on their video, all while talking to explain where each swimmer can improve their technique. Each stroke will have 5 to 7 minutes of expert commentary to help your swimmer race faster!
- IMPROVE YOUR STROKE AND GET FASTER: Do you know why swimmers’ times began dropping so drastically in the early 2000s and continuing through today? The answer is video analysis! Since so much of the stroke happens below water, it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface. Swimmers in recent years have been able to analyze their stroke with coaches to make technical changes that make them more efficient. This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your swimmer’s stroke and get analysis from one of the top coaches in the world - and review at home with your coach.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Olympian Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!