Past Clinic: High Performance Starts and Turns
Sat, Sep, 08 2018
267 Bonanza Drive, Fayetteville, NC 28303
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
William H. Sonner Aquatic FacilityInfo
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer should be moving in a race is after the start and after every turn?
Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will teach your swimmer how to maximize their speed at these key points in a race and how to maintain that momentum. At this high performance swim clinic, there will be one session focusing on starts and another focusing on turns.
Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this clinic.
Take advantage of early bird pricing! Sign up before prices rise!
Tyler will be in the water leading two sessions on for competitive swimmers of all ages and ability levels! Sign up for one or BOTH!
Session 1 Curriculum: Starts
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. Olympic Gold Medalist Tyler Clary will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTING POSITION: Everyone's foot placement might be a bit different but Tyler will teach you how to figure out what is best for you to gain both stability on the block and explosive power when leaving the block. Know exactly where to place your hands so that you can pull with your arms for a more powerful dive!
- REACTION TIME: The quicker you react the quicker you'll get in the water! Learn the secrets of improving your reaction time.
- POWER: Tyler will work with the swimmers on how to use their arms, explode through their legs, and tighten their core to be able to get as much distance and power off of the block as possible.
- BODYLINE: How you enter the water is just as important as how explosive you are off the blocks - all the power you created can be for naught if you don't carry that speed forward. Experiment with how steep is too steep, how to get into one small entry hole in a tight streamline and how to stay strong from fingertips to toes.
Session 2 Curriculum: Turns
Many age group swimmers don't know the proper technique for open turns and flip turns. They add in extra movements that create drag and slow them down. This means that for many swimmers, the turn is the most missed opportunity to drop time! Learn the proper technique to get in and out of every wall faster with Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary!
- FLIP TURNS: To achieve a fast flip turn, swimmers must accelerate into the wall so that they can carry their momentum through the turn. Participants will work on using their core and arms to get through the turn and then plant their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tyler is a Olympic gold medalist due to his discipline and focus when executing a proper flip turn. Practice drills and exercises to master this athletic skill.
- OPEN TURNS: It might sound easy, but timing the touch to achieve the optimal open turn is a challenge that takes swimmers a lot of practice and focus. Tyler will help participants maintain long and fast strokes before touching with two hands and tucking into a tight ball to accelerate through the turn. Swimmers will practice keeping their arms in close and finding a solid plant on the wall for a powerful pushoff.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler Clary questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!