Past Clinic: Fundamentals of Fast Breaststroke and Butterfly
Sun, May, 03 2015
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Sterling, IL.
Ellis Middle SchoolInfo
Inwood Athletic Club PoolInfo
YMCA at Pabst FarmsInfo
Manitowoc - Two Rivers YMCAInfo
2012 Olympians Cammile Adams and Scott Weltz will lead swimmers in drills to improve technique for breaststroke and butterfly while strength and conditioning coach Andrew Nguyen will lead participants through stretching and strength exercises. Butterfly and breaststroke require many of the same fundamentals and stroke components. Participants will learn these skills from Adams and Weltz and how to apply them to both of the short-axis strokes. Swimmers will also learn concepts on land that directly apply to swimming and how to use dryland training as a component of everyday practice.
- SNAP THE KICK: Learn and practice drills that focus on finishing the breaststroke kick in order to propel the body forward with the most power
- OPEN ARM CATCH: Practice the technique for an open arm catch that Weltz uses. Using drills practice pulling from the bodies strongest muscles to increase speed and maintain stroke length at the end of races.
- BODY UNDULATION: Weltz will demonstrate and teach the skill of pressing forward with the chest and raising the hips higher on the surface of the water. This helps create the feeling of swimming “downhill” and getting the most out of each glide.
- Coach Andrew will teach each swimmer to do all dryland exercises properly so that they can strengthen any weaknesses to avoid injury. Since just about all “Age-Group” swimmers are still growing, Andrew will teach these young athletes how to be aware of how their bodies work and how proper use of their bodies can help them reach their full potential as athletes.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS: Observe Adams and Weltz swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast butterfly and breaststroke.
GET UP AND RACE: Race two of the best swimmers in the world and watch their near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills they will teach you.
HEAR FROM CAMMILE AND SCOTT
- BODY AWARENESS: Practice key techniques on land that will directly transfer to the water. Find the optimal body line and learn to strengthen the muscles that are essential to establishing good body control.
- BREASTSTROKE FLEXIBILITY: Maintaining flexibility allows for faster swimming and greater range of motion. Weltz will lead swimmers in a series of exercises to stretch out the hip flexors, elbows, and other joints that are key to breaststroke.
- ASK QUESTIONS: Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Hear the Olympians talk and gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
- WHAT ARE THEY THINKING: Get inside the minds of two of the best swimmers in the world. Adams and Weltz will dissect their stroke and explain what they think about when they swim in practices and races.
Take a photo while wearing clinicians' medals, get autographs, and pick up a full color Fitter & Faster Tour 2015-2016 Yearbook and a special welcome bag that contains gifts from our sponsors!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up before tickets sell out.
Each FFT clinic is designed to focus on the unique strengths and experiences of the clinicians at that specific clinic. That's why participants have been to three, four or five and more FFT clinics throughout the country.