Past Clinic: Elite Racing Skills
Wed, Jul, 25 2018 - Fri, Jul, 27 2018
181 Freeman Avenue, Islip, NY 11751
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Islip, NY.
Keystone Aquatic CenterInfo
Springfield and Arlington, VAInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Nazareth Area Middle SchoolInfo
Concord High SchoolInfo
Sayville Middle SchoolInfo
Shenendehowa Aquatic CenterInfo
Montgomery County, MDInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
All sessions are SOLD OUT!
Over three days, Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will be leading THREE SESSIONS – each with a distinct curriculum. Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance three-day camp.
Sign up for one clinic, two clinics or save by signing up for all three! Read more on the curriculum for each clinic below.
Sessions will be limited to 24 participants each! Nick will be in the water leading three sessions along with Coach Mike Murray. All sessions are SOLD OUT!
(SOLD OUT) July 25th: Open Turns, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, Finishes, and Preparing for College Swimming
This session is extremely valuable to swimmers of all ages and ability levels to learn about essential components to dropping time and racing fast. Participants will also engage in a discussion with Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman and Coach Mike Murray on everything college swimming including the recruiting process, making decisions, and what college swimming is like!
- OPEN TURNS: Most swimmers don't know the proper technique to get through open turns quickly and efficiently. The key is thinking about the turn as a backwards spin rather than turning around! Participants will practice drills and exercises with Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman. You won't believe how much they improve!
- STREAMLINES: The streamline after the start and turn are actually the FASTEST a swimmer will go in the water... any imperfection will slow the swimmer down. A swimmer can "appear to be streamlined", but in actuality they are not. We will teach the swimmers how to TRUST their streamline. Trusting their streamline is such a tough things for swimmers to do because their's not physical movement. Nick Thoman will teach every swimmer how to be fully engaged in the proper positioning from fingertips to toe tips.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Nick Thoman is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- FINISHES: Close races can be won or lost with a proper finish. Swimmers will learn how to time their touch properly while elongating their reach to get their fingertips on the wall first. This skill takes discipline and practice. Make every finish a race winning finish!
- COLLEGE SWIMMING DISCUSSION: Has your swimmer thought about swimming in college? It's never too early to start! Engage in a discussion with Olympic gold medalist (and University of Arizona swimmer) Nick Thoman and Coach Mike Murray about what college coaches look for, the recruiting process, how to make a decision, and what it's like to swim in college!
(ONE SPOT REMAINING) July 26th: Freestyle, Backstroke, Flip Turns, and Pre-Race Strategy
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Nick Thoman will be in the water during this session with the participants going over drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke as well as faster flip turns and pre-race strategy.
- FREESTYLE: Start with a strong foundation of a strong core and solid body line. Add in a strong kick and a core driven rotation. For the arm pull, Nick will work with swimmers to ensure that they are maintaining a long stroke and putting immediate pressure back into the water. Lastly, an efficient breath is essential to swimming freestyle fast. Nick will build a drill progression that will allow every participant to feel faster and more efficient in their freestyle stroke!
- BACKSTROKE: The key to a fast backstroke is connection. Nick will introduce each component of a strong backstroke and then help the participants connect them together for more power and speed with every stroke. Practice drills to feel the correct head and body position as well as a faster kick and more powerful pull.
- FLIP-TURNS: Participants will learn to carry their momentum through every turn. Nick will teach them how to use their core and arms to flip fast and plant their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Nick is a Olympic gold medalist due to his discipline and focus when executing a proper flip turn. Practice drills and exercises to help you master this athletic skill.
- PRE-RACE STRATEGY: You've done the work... now it's time to show the world what you've got! A swimmer's pre-race routine and mental preparation can make a big difference in a swimmer's times. Are you maximizing your performance on race day? Nick Thoman will give every participant tips to ensure they step on the blocks ready to race at their best.
(SOLD OUT) July 27th: Breaststroke, Butterfly, and Nutrition
Often the two hardest strokes to master, butterfly and breaststroke take a great deal of timing, patience, and coordination to be able to execute well. These two strokes have a lot in common that we will address at this clinic including undulation and forward breaths! Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman has been studying technique his whole life and he has competed on the highest level! Learn new drills and technqiues for fly and breast from him at this session! Nick will also lead a discussion in this session about proper nutrition for elite level performance.
- BREASTSTROKE: Breaststroke can be a challenge to swim correctly because it takes a lot of coordination and patience. Learn not only HOW to kick and pull in breatstroke, but also WHEN! Nick will teach participants drills to feel correct positioning and timing so that they can swim faster now as well as continue to improve in the future.
- BUTTERFLY: Many swimmers consider butterfly to be the hardest stroke... but it doesn't have to be! Learn a relaxed and fast butterfly stroke that is smooth and efficient! Nick will go over body position, pull, kicks, and breath to build a better butterfly for your swimmer!
- NUTRITION: Fueling your body for maximum performance is one of the most important aspects to training harder and racing faster! Learn from Nick about which foods can help give a swimmer more energy at meets and practices as well as when to fuel your body so that it is most effective!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!