Past Clinic: Elite 2 Day Camp: Flip Turns and Feel for the Water
Sat, Apr, 14 2018 - Sun, Apr, 15 2018
Bloomington High School South
1965 South Walnut Street, Bloomington, IN 47401
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Bloomington, IN.
Oak Forest High SchoolInfo
Over TWO DAYS, participants will work with Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary on improving flip turns and feel for the water.
Give your swimmer the opportunity to maximize their speed and power so that they can drop time at this unique two-day FFT swim camp!
This is a two-day camp designed for competitive swimmers of all ages and ability levels. The times listed below are for both Saturday and Sunday.
Feel for the Water
Some believe that the best swimmers in the world are born with a talent for understanding how to "feel the water". However, we believe that through practice, specific drills, and instruction, your swimmer will be able to gain a deeper understanding of how to get more out of every stroke and establish this "feel". Your swimmer will learn how to move through the water with more power and efficiency.
- Hold your hand with the right amout of relaxation, strength, and space between fingers for maxium hold on the water:
- Grip the water with a strong hold to get more out of every stroke:
- Use all of your surface area to press into the water and throw it behind you.:
- Practice sculling drills to enhance the sensations of "feeling the water":
The second fastest point in every single race are your swimmer's turns. (The fastest are starts). At this two-day camp, participants will learn to maximize their speed and power at every wall! They will learn to use the walls to carry momentum into their first several strokes of each lap!
- In order to have even faster speed off the wall - we're going to teach you to accelerate into the wall.:
- Get ready to bounce off the wall to achieve maximum speed past the flags. So, you're going to need to tuck your chin and core into a tight ball and throw your hips towards the wall.:
- We want you to be completely hydrodynamic. We're going to teach you to use your arms to stabilize and reduce drag.:
- Shoot off that wall! But, before you do that, ever so briefly plant your feet firmly on the wall in an effective pushoff position!:
- Snap your whole body into a streamline:
- LAST AND NOT LEAST: TRUST YOUR STREAMLINE! A perfectly executed streamline off the wall should be the fastest you are going at any point during a race!:
Tyler will practice drills and exercises for each of these skills as well as provide immediate feedback for each participant. The fastest you're ever moving in a race is at the turn... don't take it for granted!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!