Past Clinic: Three-Day Fall Camp
Fri, Sep, 07 2018 - Sun, Sep, 09 2018
Chelsea Piers Aquatic Center
1 Blachley Rd, Stamford, CT 06902
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Stamford, CT.
The Ethel Walker SchoolInfo
Boys & Girls Club of TauntonInfo
Keystone Aquatic CenterInfo
This is a small group, three-day swim camp that will jump-start swimmers in preparation for the short course yards season ahead.
Your clinicians for this camp with be three-time Olympian Amanda Weir and elite clinician and National Champion Tom Luchsinger. They will be in the water instructing and providing feedback on high performance technique.
Sign up for one day, two days, or save by signing up for all three. Read more on the curriculum for each clinic below.
SMALL SESSIONS! There is a maximum of 24 participants ages 9-11 and ages 12 & older in each group (Swimmers younger than 9 must have at least one “A” USA Swimming Motivational time standard). Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
SESSION 1: STARTS, BACKSTROKE STARTS, AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Amanda Weir and Tom Luchsinger will share their experience on how they found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Amanda and Tom will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tom Luchsinger is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: This challenging and athletic skills takes a lot of practice to perfect. Accelerate the learning curve by learning drills and exercises from Amanda and Tom! They will start by making sure that your swimmer sets up on the block properly so that they can explode away from the wall. Then they'll practice throwing their heads and arms back while arching their backs and getting their hips over the water for a clean entry. You won't believe the improvements you'll see!
SESSION 2: FREESTYLE, BACKSTROKE, FLIP TURNS, AND FINISHES
Freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common including the body position, rotation, and an early press back into the water! Working on both strokes together deepens a swimmer's understanding of the importance of these aspects. Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to race faster in both free and back as well as how to accelerate through every flip turn with Amanda Weir and Tom Luchsinger!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Amanda and Tom will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic medalist Amanda Weir and National Champion Tom Luchsinger will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Amanda and Tom will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that when it comes to close races, your swimmer always comes out on top.
SESSION 3: BREASTSTROKE, BUTTERFLY, & OPEN TURNS
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency! Participants will also learn how to improve their open turns with Amanda Weir and Tom Luchsinger!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Amanda and Tom will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Amanda and Tom questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Amanda and Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Amanda and Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!