Stroke Technique and Starts & Turns Camp
Wed, Aug, 11 2021 - Fri, Aug, 13 2021
Sam Fishman Memorial Pool
47 East St, Vergennes, VT 05491
Stroke Technique and Starts & Turns Camp-Sign up for one session or SAVE when you sign up for the special 3-day bundle!
Participants will focus on developing efficient stroke technique across short axis technique along with their starts and open turns at this camp. Day 1 will cover butterfly technique. Day 2 will focus on breaststroke technique. Finally, on day 3 swimmers will work on their starts and open turns.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for more details on curriculum!
Session Times (one session per day):
Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10 AM-1 PM
Amini Fonua will lead one session for swimmers over the age of 11.
Participants will work with two time Olympian, Amini Fonua, to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with our clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Amini will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation, now they will work with our clinicians on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and exhaust themselves. Amini Fonua will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Amini will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on the body. Learn how our elite clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater dolphin kick. Swimmers will also identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push-off in the perfect streamline.
- STARTS: Amini will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Amini to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, the clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in the butterfly
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers & coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.