Past Clinic: IM Racing Technique Camp
Sat, Jan, 12 2019 - Sun, Jan, 13 2019
Klein High School Natatorium
16303 Lyons School Road, Spring, TX 77379
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Spring, TX.
Two-Day IM Racing Technique Camp!
This is a two day swim camp focused on IM racing technique and strategy. Sign up for one or both days! Saturday will focus on the transition of butterfly to backstroke and underwaters. Then, Sunday will focus on the transition of breaststroke to freestyle along with turns.
Each session will be limited to no more than 36 participants. Your Elite Clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist and IM specialist Tyler Clary. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
Tyler will lead 4 sessions, two for each age group.
Sessions 1 & 2: Butterfly to Backstroke IM Transition and Underwaters
Many swimmers struggle with how to pace the first half of an IM so that they're racing as fast and efficiently as possible without spending too much energy. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in each of their IM races. He will also work with the swimmers on the underwater portion of their IM including underwater dolphin kicking and breaststroke pullouts.
- BUTTERFLY TO BACKSTROKE IM TRANSITION: In this session, Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. He will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tyler with work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into their breakout.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
Session 3 & 4: Breaststroke to Freestyle IM Transition and IM Turns
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. The key is finding the right tempo on the breaststroke and freestyle legs to allow a swimmer to accelerate to the finish without losing length. At these sessions we will focus on pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM. Plus, we will practice the turns to transition from one stroke to another.
- BREASTSTROKE TO FREESTYLE IM TRANSITION: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length even through fatigue. Tyler Clary will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke as well as freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- IM TURNS: Races are often won and lost because of the quality of the turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Tyler will work with participants on their IM turns to help them accelerate into and out of every turn with more speed.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!