Voorhees Township, NJ
Past Clinic: High Performance Swim Camp Series
Wed, Aug, 26 2020 - Fri, Aug, 28 2020
NL Aquatics Center
333 Preston Avenue, Voorhees Township, NJ 08043
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Voorhees Township, NJ.
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation FacilityInfo
Short Course Training Boot Camp – Sign up for one camp or SAVE by signing up for multiple!
This exclusive swim camp is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their technique and racing skills in all four strokes. Participants will continue the ongoing process of perfecting technique to efficiently move through the water with power by attending these swim camps. This is a three-day swim camp, divided by age group, for high level competitive swimmers.
Each camp will be led by Olympians Christopher Reid and Amini Fonua! Christopher and Amini not only swam at the highest level and achieved amazing success through their years competing, but they are also exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will have limits on the number of swimmers per lane to maintain social distance. We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
August 26-28 camps will have sessions for year-round competitive swimmers ages 9 to 11 and ages 12 & up with two or more years of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 should not sign up without a coach’s approval.
AUGUST 26: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE BOOT CAMP
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; improve these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! After reinforcing efficient freestyle and backstroke technique, swimmers will put those skills to the test in a training set designed to further develop the freestyle stroke and racing skills.
- SETTING UP THE FREESTYLE STROKE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Olympians Christopher Reid and Amini Fonua will also help participants reach their maximum speed by catching and holding water. Your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time with a faster freestyle stroke.
- SETTING UP THE BACKSTROKE STROKE: Engaging the core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Christopher and Amini will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- TRAINING SESSION: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Christopher, Amini, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
AUGUST 27: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE BOOTCAMP
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. After building a solid butterfly and breaststroke technique during the first half of the session, your swimmer will challenge themself to maintain that form at a higher speed!
- SETTING UP THE BUTTERFLY STROKE: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Christopher Reid and Amini Fonua will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- SETTING UP THE BREASTSTROKE STROKE: Learn to utilize the same technique and strategies as world-class breaststrokers. Your swimmer will continue the process of reducing drag in this rhythmic stroke. We will focus on the timing of the kick and pull; swimming in a horizontal plane with a small powerful kick; keeping the hips high throughout the whole stroke; and generating forward power in their recovery.
- TRAINING SESSION: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Christopher, Amini, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and breaststroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
AUGUST 28: INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY BOOT CAMP
Individual medley events are some of swimming’s most challenging, strategic, and grueling races, and at this session, participants will learn how to train and race the IM. With so many different pieces to master - four strokes, transitions, endurance, and speed - there are a lot of ways to get faster in this event.
- SETTING UP THE INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY: Your swimmer will begin by reexamining all four strokes and the all-important transition turns between each leg of the individual medley race.
- TRAINING SET: The second half of this session will consist of an elite workout designed by Christopher, Amini, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s individual medley and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Christopher and Amini questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Christopher and Amini, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!