High Performance Stroke Technique
Sat, Oct, 02 2021 - Sun, Oct, 03 2021
Newport County YMCA
792 Valley Rd, Middletown, RI 02842
October 2-3, 2021: High Performance Stroke Technique Swim Camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This 2-day swim camp is aimed to help swimmers improve on ALL FOUR STROKES! This camp will be led by Elite Clinician Makayla Sargent! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, October 2: swimmers will focus on polishing up their butterfly and breaststroke technique.
-12 & Under: Check in 1 PM, Clinic 1:15-3:45 PM
-13 & Over: Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30-7:30 PM
Sunday, October 3: Swimmers to work on their freestyle and backstroke techniques.
-12 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
-13 & Over: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
DAY ONE (SESSION 1): BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with our clinicians to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in two of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers and breaststrokers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a strong body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers and breaststrokers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with our elite clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper body position for both strokes.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke and butterfly. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly or breaststroke for maximum speed. Timing is crucial.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly and breaststroke. Makayla will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers make is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on breaths and best timing so that they can swim avoid breaking rhythm.
DAY TWO (SESSION 2): BACKSTROKE & FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Makayla Sargent will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle and backstroke drills. These skills will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient technique in both strokes.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle or backstroke will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for faster swims.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Makayla will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
- BREATH: Timing is everything! The clinicians will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask our clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers & coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with clinicians get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.