Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Techniques
Sat, Oct, 27 2018 - Sun, Oct, 28 2018
Robicheaux Recreation Center
1919 Eraste Landry Road, Lafayette, LA 70506
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
University of New Orleans Aquatic CenterInfo
This is a four-session swim camp, two for each age group, working on the fastest parts of every race: the start and the turns!
Your clinician for this camp with be two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton. Not only is Chloe one of the fastest swimmers in history, but she is also one of the most experienced and requested clinicians with Fitter and Faster. Joining her will be another two-time Olympian and coach to Olympians Brett Hawke!
Sign up for one or save by signing up for both sessions for your swimer’s age group. Read more on the curriculum for each session below.
SAVE! Sign up with early bird pricing and register before prices increase!
Chloe and Brett will lead four sessions. Sign up for 1 or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
Session 1 & 2: Starts and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum, heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympian Chloe Sutton will share her experience on how she found time to practice and improve her start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of her most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of speed, power, and efficiency. Chloe will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Chloe Sutton is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
Session 2 & 4: Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Finishes
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!