Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Technique
Sat, Sep, 22 2018 - Sun, Sep, 23 2018
Lacamas Athletic Club
2950 Northwest 38th Ave, Camas, WA 98607
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Camas, WA.
Parkrose Community Swim CenterInfo
Two-Day Camp – Sign up for one or both sessions!
At this high performance swim camp, participants will be in the water working with Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and 23-time Paralympic medalist Jessica Long. Swimmers will explore the similarities between all of the strokes that will enable them to swim with more efficiency and power – enabling them to drop time!
Did you also know that the fastest a swimmer goes on every legnth of the pool is after each turn? At each session, your clinicians will re-enforce the technique for elite level, fast turns.
Click HERE for hotel info! Scroll down for details on the curriculum!
SAVE! Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise!
Jessica and Tyler will lead four sessions. Sign up for one or save by signing up for BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
Session 1 & 2: Butterfly, Breaststroke, and Open Turns
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency! Participants will also learn how to improve their open turns with Tyler and Jessica!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tyler and Jessica will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Session 3 & 4: Freestyle, Backstroke, and Flip Turns
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back as well as how to accelerate through every flip turn with Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Paralympic gold medalist Jessica Long!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tyler and Jessica will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Tyler and Jessica will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tyler and Jessica will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler and Jessica questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Tyler and Jessica swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by swimming at top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler and Jessica's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!