Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Swim Camp
Sat, May, 04 2019 - Sun, May, 05 2019
Crawfordsville Aquatic Center
1 Athenian Drive, Crawfordsville, IN 47933
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Crawfordsville, IN.
Inwood Athletic Club PoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Columbus School for GirlsInfo
YMCA at Pabst FarmsInfo
Fremont Ross High SchoolInfo
East Grand Rapids Community PoolInfo
Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Sylvania Northview High SchoolInfo
Two-Day, Four Session Swim Camp – Sign up for one, two, three, or SAVE by signing up for all 4 sessions!
There are four sessions over the weekend and each session covers specific areas of racing fast! On Saturday, the first session will be starts and underwater dolphin kicking and the second session will be freestyle and backstroke. Then on Sunday, the first session will focus on breaststroke and butterfly and the second session will work on flip turns and open turns!
Your clinician for this camp will be National Champions Sarah Gibson and John Shebat! Your swimmer has so much they can learn from both John and Sarah! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
Sarah and John will be in the water leading four sessions designed for swimmers ages 10 or older.
SESSION 1: STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum, heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a fast start, and you only get better with practice. Your racing skills can be the difference between winning and losing by hundredths of seconds! We’ll have you exploding off the blocks and extending your underwater streamline after learning from Sarah Gibson!
- Starts: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Sarah will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to drive their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Sarah Gibson was known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSION 2: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back from National Champion Sarah Gibson!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Sarah will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Sarah Gibson will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
SESSION 3: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- Butterfly: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Sarah will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- Breaststroke: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
SESSION 4: FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Sarah Gibson will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Sarah will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Sarah questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
PRACTICE INTENTIONAL DRILLS
Learn a progression of drills designed to help swimmers understand and feel powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Sarah, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!