Past Clinic: High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Sat, Jan, 11 2020 - Sun, Jan, 12 2020
Canajoharie Nellis Pool
25 School District Rd., Canajoharie, NY 13317
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Canajoharie, NY.
Watertown High SchoolInfo
Sachem East High SchoolInfo
Ocean County YMCAInfo
YMCA of ConcordInfo
NL Aquatic CenterInfo
Lionville Community YMCAInfo
Newport County YMCAInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Freestyle and backstroke have a lot of similarities in technique. Working on both strokes together can deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the skills necessary to race fast! There will be two sessions for each age group: the first session will focus on freestyle technique. Session Two will focus on backstroke.
This clinic will be held by Olympian Christopher Reid! Christopher will share the same drills and tips he used to become one of the fastest swimmers in the world. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Saturday, January 11th
Session 1 (12 & Over): Check in 5:30 PM, Clinic 5:45 PM-7:45 PM
Sunday, January 12th
Session 1 (11 & Under): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 2 (11 & Under): Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Session 2 (12 & Over): Check in 3:00 PM, Clinic 3:15 PM-5:15 PM
Christopher will be in the water leading two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
SESSION ONE: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Olympian Christopher Reid will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE & ROTATION: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle. Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Nick will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Christopher will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
SESSION TWO: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Christopher Reid to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head in line on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Christopher questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Christopher swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Christopher, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!