Past Clinic: Explosive Performance Starts & Turns
Fontana Aquatics Club
15610 Summit Ave, Fontana, CA 92336
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Fontana, CA.
Rancho Simi Community PoolInfo
Yorba Linda High School Aquatics CenterInfo
Seco Canyon PoolInfo
Murrieta Mesa High SchoolInfo
Murrieta Mesa High SchoolInfo
Starts and turns are not only the fastest part of every race, but also the most technically elaborate. Even top level swimmers often focus on perfecting these elements to improve their best times. Swimmers will work with World Championship swimmer Keri Hehn and 2 time Olympian Brett Hawke for the secrets behind the fastest part of every race.
Saturday, October 9: Explosive Starts, Underwaters & Breakouts.
Sunday, October 10: Fast Flip turns, Open turns, and finishes.
Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
12 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15- 11:15 AM
13 & Over: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15-2:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
OCTOBER 9: STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block- the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by a dominating underwater. Keri and Brett have spent numerous hours practicing details of starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Keri and Brett will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block, as well as how to launch off with power into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's one of the most crucial components to maintaining speed off the walls! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into the first stroke and accelerate onward.
OCTOBER 10: Flip TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerful push off every wall. Keri Hehn and Brett Hawke will lead participants through a series of drills to build compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will learn details of an expertly executed open turn, which involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Brett and Keri to nail an efficient and quick open turn, and learn where to clean up any unnecessary drag.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!