Grand Rapids, MI
Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp
Sat, May, 15 2021 - Sun, May, 16 2021
Northview High School
4451 Hunsberger Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
MAY 15-16, 2021
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – The fastest that a swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn! In the first session for each age group, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and powerful underwater dolphin kicking. In the second session, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish.
This camp will be led by SEC Champion Robyn Clevenger and three-time Olympian Glenn Snyders!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (Both Camps):
13 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
14 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:15 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
MAY 15 (SATURDAY): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. SEC Champion Robyn Clevenger and three-time Olympian Glenn Snyders have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Robyn and Glenn will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Swimmers will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
MAY 16 (SUNDAY): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Robyn Clevenger and Glenn Snyders will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Robyn and Glenn to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Robyn and Glenn questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Robyn and Glenn swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Robyn and Glenn, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap AND a Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!