Past Clinic: Explosive Performance Speed & Power Camp
Sat, Nov, 06 2021 - Sun, Nov, 07 2021
Twinsburg Fitness Center
10084 Ravenna Road, Twinsburg, OH 44087
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Twinsburg, OH.
NKU-Campus Rec CenterInfo
Ontario Local SchoolsInfo
Northland Swim ClubInfo
Livonia High SchoolInfo
David M. Hallman III Aquatics CenterInfo
Ringgold High SchoolInfo
YMCA of Huber HeightsInfo
Victor Aquatics CenterInfo
Victor Aquatics CenterInfo
Galion Community Center YMCAInfo
Kiski School - Ross Athletic CenterInfo
Delaware Community Family YMCAInfo
On November 6 & 7 we are producing two swim camps at the Twinsburg Fitness Center.
Each camp is two days. You can sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a 2-day bundle!
Camp 1 (Ages 10 & up): EXPLOSIVE PERFORMANCE: STARTS, TURNS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN & BREAKOUTS
- "Starts and more!" (Saturday): Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2:30 PM
- "Turns and more!" (Sunday): Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
Camp 2 (Ages 12 & up): ELITE SPEED & POWER CAMP
- "Generating Power" (Saturday): Check in 3:30, Clinic 3:45-6:45 PM
- "SPEED" (Sunday): Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:45 PM
- PLEASE BRING KICK BOARD, PADDLES, FINS, AND A T-SHIRT TO SWIM IN TO BOTH SESSIONS
Scroll down for more details on each camp's curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
November 6: STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block, the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Robyn Clevenger has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on being explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: SEC Champion Robyn Clevenger will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the quickest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
November 7: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Robyn Clevenger will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push-off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Robyn Clevenger to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
November 6: GENERATING POWER!
While strength training helps swimmers get stronger, working on power exercises in the water helps to strengthen swimming specific movements. Developing power will help participants be more efficient and stronger in the water! Robyn Clevenger will work with swimmers on improving power in their strokes, using resistance training to their advantage, and utilizing dynamic warmups.
- IMPROVING POWER IN STROKE TECHNIQUE: Swimmers are taught drag is bad! However, ADDING resistance as a training tool causes swimmers to alter their technique and highlight any deficiencies. Removing that resistance then allows swimmers to feel those differences in technique and build power in their stroke technique. The clinicians will take the swimmers through some resistance training techniques during this camp!
- RESISTANCE TRAINING: Resistance not only helps expose places to strengthen technique but also is a huge way to build power. Hand paddles, rubber tubing with a belt, even swimming with a T-shirt and shoes in the water can help add resistance and develop power!
- DYNAMIC WARM UP: Get ready for every practice and competition with a short dynamic warm up routine! Robyn Clevenger will take participants through a combination of light cardio exercises and dynamic stretches. This is an excellent way to get the blood flowing to the muscles and loosen joints to prepare for training and racing. Being properly warmed up will also help prevent injuries.
CREATING & MAINTAINING SPEED!
Swimmers can significantly change their race strategy by adjusting just two aspects of their stroke - distance per stroke and tempo. Robyn Clevenger will coach swimmers to help their tempo and speed in the water. He will also review dryland exercises designed specifically for developing strength and power in swimmers and techniques for recovery from dryland and swimming workouts.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmers tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help swimmers swim as fast as possible.
- DRYLAND FOR SWIMMING: Dryland training is designed to build strength, increase flexibility and become a more well-rounded and agile athlete. Swimmers will learn age-appropriate, simple bodyweight exercises that will strengthen their core and major muscle groups to complement the training done in the pool.
- MAINTAINING TECHNIQUE THROUGH FATIGUE: When swimmers get tired, it’s an easy choice to revert to sloppy technique in order to make the interval and finish the set. Choosing to focus on technique through fatigue is a difficult decision, but more beneficial in the long run. Participants will learn from Robyn Clevenger how to handle fatigue in practice and races.
- RECOVERY: While training is important for swimming faster and gaining strength, recovery is just as essential to continue training at a high level. While you can buy expensive products to help you recover, Robyn Clevenger will walk through some of the most important things to get your body ready for the next session.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area