Past Clinic: Elite Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Sat, Sep, 22 2018 - Sun, Sep, 23 2018
Westside High School
14201 Briar Forest Drive, Houston, TX 77077
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Houston, TX.
Two Day Camp – Sign up for one or both sessions!
At these high performance swim clinics, your swimmer has so much that they can learn from our TWO elite Olympian clinicians. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will be in the water and Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will be providing feedback from on deck!
The curriculum for this clinic will be freestyle and backstroke on Saturday. On Sunday, participants will work on starts, flip turns, and underwater dolphin kicking.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE! Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise!
Nick Thoman and Brett Hawke will teach at 4 sessions for swimmers of all ages and ability levels.
Saturday Curriculum (Sessions 1 & 2): Freestyle and Backstroke
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman and Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Nick and Coach Hawke will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman and Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Sunday Curriculum (Sessions 3 & 4): Starts, Flip Turns, and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
Did you know that the fastest a swimmer is ever moving in the water is right after the start and off of every turn? It is essential for all swimmers to continuously work to improve their speed at these key points in a race as well as work to maintain their momentum into their underwater dolphin kicking. At these sessions, Nick Thoman and Brett Hawke will work with the participants to gain more speed and power off of every start, turn, and into their underwater dolphin kicking.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick and Coach Hawke will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Nick and Coach Hawke will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Not a single great dolphin kicker kicks from their knees down! Nick and Coach Hawke will instruct your swimmer on how to engage your kick from the core, utilizing their chest press and hip drive to create a fluid undulating motion. The fastest swimmers in the world dolphin kick off of their walls, learn how to get more speed and power out of every kick!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick and Coach Hawke questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Get your heartrate up with one of the best swimmers in the world and watch his near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills he will teach you.
Take a photo while wearing Nick and Coach Hawke's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!