Highland Heights, KY
Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Sat, Oct, 10 2020 - Sun, Oct, 11 2020
NKU Campus Recreation Center
20 Kenton Dr., Highland Heights, KY 61761
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every butterfly race (plus improve in the IM!). Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Saturday will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On Sunday, participants will learn advanced racing skills and take their stroke to top speed.
This camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will have limits on the number of swimmers per lane to maintain social distance. We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Your clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with clinicians on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Your clinicians will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. Your Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any butterfly race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Participants will focus on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- KICK COUNT: Counting dolphin kicks off of each wall is another way your swimmer can switch up their strategy in butterfly races. By tracking how long they stay underwater, they will have a better streamline and breakout on each turn!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!