Past Clinic: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
Sat, Nov, 30 2019 - Sun, Dec, 01 2019
William H. Sonner Aquatic Facility
1013 Jones Franklin Rd., Raleigh, NC 27606
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Raleigh, NC.
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment ComplexInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Comprehensive Breaststroke Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every breaststroke race. The first day will cover breaststroke specific racing skills such as pullouts, open turns, and finishes. The second day will focus on fast and efficient breakfast technique and finish with a breaststroke efficiency workout.
Leading each session will be three time Olympian Glenn Snyders and Coach Ben Lee! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Glenn and Ben will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without a coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): OPEN TURNS, BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS AND BREASTSTROKE FINISHES
Breaststroke races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite-level swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose close races. At this session, Olympian Glenn Snyders and Coach Ben Lee will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the push off. We're going to teach your swimmer how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping them in all of their breaststroke races!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Glenn and Ben. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- BREASTSTROKE FINISHES: Glenn and Ben will work with participants to know when to take their last stroke before accelerating into the finish keeping their hips high and arms long. Swimmers will work on timing the touch perfectly with their fingertips while keeping their heads down for a faster finish.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE & EFFICIENCY TRAINING
Great breaststrokers not only understand the components to a powerful kick and a strong pull, but they also understand how and when each piece fits together. At this session, Olympian Glenn Snyders and Coach Ben Lee will help each participant deepen their understanding of breaststroke through the use of drills, practice, and feedback.
- BODY POSITION: It is very easy to create drag in breaststroke by letting your hips drop or feet sag! Maintaining a horizontal body position in the water is so important to keeping a fast and efficient stroke.
- KICK: Glenn and Ben will work with each participant to understand how to set their feet on the water and jump off. Swimmers will learn how to keep their knees anchored and hips high throughout the kick to create more power and reduce drag.
- PULL: A breaststroke pull begins with a powerful outsweep that transitions into a strong catch during the insweep. Your swimmer's hands should accelerate through the finish under their chin before driving forward along the surface to land in a streamlined glide. The drills in this session will help participants learn the right width and speed of their pull for a more efficient breaststroke.
- TIMING: One of the most important skills in breaststroke is mastering the WHEN! Your swimmer must have a solid understanding of when to pull, kick, breathe, glide, and accelerate! Glenn and Ben will ensure that your swimmer knows how each part of breaststroke fits together for a more connected stroke.
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: This session will end with an elite workout designed by your Elite Clinician and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s breaststroke and increase speed and efficiency.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Glenn and Ben questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Glenn swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best breaststrokers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Glenn and Ben, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!