Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Sat, Jan, 16 2021 - Sun, Jan, 17 2021
East Texas Aquatics
11594 TX-248 Spur, Tyler, TX 75707
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Tyler, TX.
Lambright Sports and Wellness CenterInfo
Fleet Aquatic CenterInfo
Semones Family YMCAInfo
Houston Swim Club SharpstownInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on fast and efficient backstroke technique. The second day will cover applied speed and race strategy, as well as backstroke starts.
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp are National Champion John Shebat and Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith! John and Clark are known for their detailed technical knowledge and are exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.!
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9:00 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:30 PM
John and Clark will lead two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 9 years old without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with National Champion John Shebat and Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. John and Clark will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. John Shebat and Clark Smith will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, John and Clark will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. John and Clark will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by John, Clark, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John and Clark questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John and Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John and Clark, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!