Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 26 2020 - Sun, Sep, 27 2020
Cactus Pool and McDowell Mountain Ranch Pool, Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on fast and efficient backstroke technique. The second day will cover applied speed and race strategy, as well as backstroke starts.
This clinic will be led by National Champion and SAC Swimmer Amy Bilquist! Amy’s attention to detail and focus on improving stroke technique have made her one of the best swimmers in the world and an excellent clinician. A portion of proceeds from this camp will help support Amy’s training for the Tokyo Olympics! Olympic Gold Medalist Cierra Runge to join Amy in leading this clinic. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Swimmers ages 11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 8:45 AM. Clinic 9:00-11:30 AM @ Cactus Pool (7202 E Cactus Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260)
Sunday: Check in 8:45 AM. Clinic 9:00-11:30 AM @ McDowell Mountain Ranch Pool (15525 N Thompson Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, AZ 85260)
Swimmers ages 12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 2:00 PM. Clinic 2:15-5:15 PM @ McDowell Mountain Ranch Pool (15525 N Thompson Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, AZ 85260)
Sunday: Check in 12:15 PM. Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM @ McDowell Mountain Ranch Pool (15525 N Thompson Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, AZ 85260)
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 3-4 swimmers per lane (max 30 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Amy and Cierra will lead two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 9 years old without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with National Champion Amy Bilquist and Olympic gold medalist Cierra Runge to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Amy and Cierra will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Amy Bilquist and Cierra Runge will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Amy and Cierra will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Amy and Cierra will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Amy, Cierra, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Amy and Cierra questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Amy and Cierra swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with a set from one of the best coaches and one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Amy and Cierra, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!