Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Thu, Jan, 02 2020 - Fri, Jan, 03 2020
Grandview High School
20500 East Arapahoe Road, Aurora, CO 800016
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on fast and efficient backstroke technique. The second day will cover applied speed and race strategy, as well as backstroke starts.
This camp is limited to 36 participants per session.
Leading this camp are Elite Clinicians Coach Todd Schmitz and Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 12:20 PM, Clinic 12:40 PM-2:10 PM
12 & Over: Check in 2:30 PM, Clinic 2:45 PM-5:45 PM
Todd and Nick will lead two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (THURSDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Todd Schmitz and Nick Thoman to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Todd and Nick will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
DAY 2 (FRIDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Coach Todd Schmitz and Nick Thoman will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Todd and Nick will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Todd and Nick will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Todd, Nick, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Todd and Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Learn the same drills that Todd teaches elite swimmers like Nick to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback from an Olympic coach!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with a set from one of the best coaches and one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Todd and Nick, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!