Essentials of Sprinting Swim Camp + Video (Ages 9 to 11)
Lyons Township HS - South Campus
4900 Willow Springs Rd, Western Springs, IL 60558
Fitter & Faster is returning to Lyons Township High School to produce a 2-day swim camp in Western Springs, Illinois on November 11 & 12, 2023! This swim camp page is for competitive swimmers ages 9 to 11. Please click here for the 12 & over camp page!
ESSENTIALS OF SPRINTING SWIM CAMP (Ages 9 to 11)
-> DAY 1 (Saturday, Nov 11):
Session 1: Essentials of Sprinting - Establishing Speed
Session 2: Video Filming & Analysis
-> DAY 2 (Sunday, Nov 12):
Session 3: Essentials of Sprinting - Racing Skills
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on this swim camp!
-> Availability in each session is limited to 24 participants to ensure the best learning experience.
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Entire Camp Bundle”.
Select a curriculum below
Session 1 & 3: ESSENTIALS OF SPRINTING - November 11 & 12
Swimmers ages 11 & under are fortunate to still have 50's to race in every stroke at just about every swim meet! Now is the time for young swimmers to establish and cultivate habits to swim their shorter races as fast as possible with good technique that will position them for success as they mature. This swim camp will be led by Elite Clinician & Olympian: Joao De Lucca!
- Day 1: ESTABLISHING SPEED (Nov 11): At this session your swimmer will practice the essential components to high performance sprinting.
- Body Position: A competitive swimmer’s body position is the key to fast swimming. Most swimmers are NOT hydrodynamic in the water - and that has a big effect on how fast they “allow” themselves to swim - especially as they get older. Let’s find the right body position for your swimmer.
- Stroke Length: Lengthening their stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- Tempo: When sprinting short races young swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will find the appropriate tempo to maximize their own personal speed.
- Day 2: RACING & SPRINTING SKILLS (Nov 12): On Day 2, your swimmer will apply the skills that we practiced on the first day of this camp to important segments of every sprint race, including the moment your swimmer pushes off the wall; breakouts; finishes and all out sprinting!
- Breakouts: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into each lap.
- Sprinting: On Day 1 your swimmer worked on body position, tempo and length of stroke. Today we are going to apply those skills to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power.
- Walls, Walls, Walls!: Approaching the wall at top speed in preparation for the fastest turn is vital. Swimmers will work on techniques to get in and out of every wall faster!
- Finishes: Dropping time and even winning or moving up a few spots in the results can all come down to the last stroke! A well-timed finish at full speed, with full-arm extension and head down can make a difference of up to a full second in a race! Your swimmer is going to learn how to take advantage of the finish to drop time!
- Sprinting Application: Swimmers at this session will work on applying their newly developed skills during racing scenarios. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Session 2: VIDEO FILMING & ANALYSIS - November 11
Sign up to get the same video analysis as the Pros! Competitive age group swimmers and adults will have their strokes filmed by Sam Hoekstra at strategic angles below the surface! After the filming your video will be analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by Olympic Swim Coach: Todd Schmitz.
- YOUR ELITE STROKE ANALYZER: Todd Schmitz has coached many elite level international competitors including American phenomenon Missy Franklin. He was a Team USA swim coach and is a technical expert who will make recommendations regarding your stroke the same way he has with Olympians!
- ANALYSIS: Our Fitter and Faster expert will use a video analysis application to record their comments on your technique. They will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while explaining where opportunities for improvement are. Each stroke will have approximately 3 to 5 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: You will receive recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer.
- SIGN UP: Select to have one stroke filmed. Or, SAVE by choosing to have all four strokes filmed. The "multi-stroke options" are for individual swimmers and cannot be split.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL (Retain your order number): You will receive an e-mail approximately one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule. When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- WARM UP: Participants will have an opportunity to warm up before filming.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have you swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke will take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle below the water to get an accurate view of your technique.
- SESSION LEGNTH: Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 14 days of the camp. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
- Sessions 1 & 3: Check in 10:30 AM. Camp: 10:45-1:15 PM
- Session 2: Video Analysis (Nov 11). *See below for more details on your filming time): 6:15pm to 9pm
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
- You will receive an email a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Swimmer's scheduled time will be between 6:15 - 9 PM.
- Elite Video Filming & Analysis is for ALL swimmers ages 8 & Over, including adults!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Joao De Lucca
Joao Delucca is one of our most experienced top level clinicians as a two time Olympian, having competed in London in 2012 and his hometown of Rio de Janeiro in 2016. Winning a Gold Medal on a world stage in the sport of swimming requires the utmost discipline, attention to detail, work ethic, and passion for being the best. Joao Delucca brings all of these skills to the table as a Fitter and Faster clinician and gives his all to the swimmers he coaches.
Sam Hoekstra is known for his role as an important member of some fast relays! He is a two-time All Big-East performer from the University of Louisville. Sam is now a coach with a big personality that swimmers of all ages and abilities can benefit from. Sign up to learn from Sam at this swim camp!
Todd SCHMITZ has coached 7 Olympians from different countries in events ranging from the 50 Free to the 400 IM. Todd has also coached NCAA finalists in all four strokes and the IM. Todd has run clinics in 13 countries and 18 states since 2010. Todd coaches all levels including state champions, nationals champions, World Record Holders, and Olympic Champions.