2023 Defiance, OH Swim Camp Series
1599 Palmer Dr, Defiance, OH 43512
Fitter & Faster is returning to the Defiance YMCA in Defiance, Ohio to produce TWO, 2-day swim camps in April & September of 2023!
2023 DEFIANCE, OHIO SWIM CAMP SERIES
-> Explosive Starts & Turns Swim Camp - April 1 & 2
-> Fast Freestyle & Backstroke Swim Camp - September 16 & 17
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for more details about each Swim Camp!
-> Availability in each session is limited to 24 participants to ensure the best learning experience!
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer’s age group!
Select a curriculum below
EXPLOSIVE STARTS & TURNS SWIM CAMP - April 1 & 2
The momentum generated from an explosive start and turns are the FASTEST that elite swimmers are moving in a race! The more efficient, powerful and hydrodynamic your swimmer is, directly impacts their speed and distance they travel in the water before taking their first stroke! This swim camp will be led by Elite Clinician: Andrew Appleby!
- Day 1: EXPLOSIVE STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS (April 1): The better a swimmer’s technique is off the starting block, the more speed they will carry into the water. Day 1 of this swim camp will help your swimmer improve their start, underwater dolphin kicking and breakouts! This sequence is not only the fastest part of every race, but it is also the part of the race in which elite swimmers cover the most ground with the most efficiency.
- Block Starts: To ensure an explosive start, a swimmer needs to set themselves up properly on the block. The elite clinicians will work with participants on the optimal positioning of your swimmer’s entire body to allow for a quick reaction time and optimal speed.
- Streamline: The streamline - if done properly - will be the fastest a swimmer travels while in the water. Proper streamlines are even faster than underwater dolphin kicking. Even the most elite swimmers in the world are constantly working on improving their streamline. Your swimmer will get tips to improve their streamline and a better appreciation of what they need to do on every single wall in practice and in races.
- Initiating Underwater Dolphin Kicking: Elite swimmers want to maximize their streamline on every single lap. So, they don’t want to start their underwater dolphin kicking while they’re still achieving maximum speed in their streamline. They also don’t want to start the underwater dolphin kicking after their streamline has begun to slow. Your swimmer is going to learn how to time when to begin their underwater dolphin kicking.
- Powerful Underwater Dolphin Kicking: There are a few different techniques that swimmers use when underwater dolphin kicking. The common theme of these techniques is that the best swimmers kick up and down with equal power. We will show your swimmer the different techniques that elite swimmers use and teach them how to implement.
- Number of Underwater Dolphin Kicks: Figuring out the optimal number of kicks off each wall, for each race, is essential to fast swimming. Elite swimmers want to spend only the absolute necessary amount of time underwater to establish speed with each length. They want to avoid losing their breath and taking weak kicks.
- Breakouts: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the speed created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into each lap.
- Day 2: FASTER FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES (April 2): Quick, powerful turns and finishes are crucial to fast times and winning close races. The top age group and elite swimmers aren't using walls just for turning around - they are used to generate speed and momentum going into the next lap. Elite swimmers are constantly working their turns and looking for areas to improve them. Today, we're going to work with your swimmer on taking this crucial part of every race (and practice) to the next level!
- Momentum: At the elite level of swimming, walls aren’t just used for turning around - they are used to generate speed and momentum going into the next lap. Outside of the elite ranks, most swimmers stop or slow down while going into the wall, which kills their momentum! We will work with participants on the intricacies of approaching every wall at top speed and seamlessly initiating their “turn”.
- Flip Turns: Flip turns are an opportunity for your swimmers to increase momentum in the middle of a race! Flip turns in which the athletes slow down or have “mechanical” movements negatively impact the speed at which a swimmer comes off the wall. We will work with your swimmer to produce fast flip turns so that they can explode off the walls at maximum speed.
- Open Turns: Elite butterflyers and breaststrokers utilize speed from their last lap to create momentum and even more speed at the beginning of the next lap. Their open turns are actually not “turns”, but more like high-speed pivots. Participants in this session will work on these techniques to have much faster open turns!
- Streamline, Underwater Dolphin, Breakout Progression: At this session participants will continue to work on the progression covered on Day 1.
- Finishes: Setting yourself up for a fast finish is very similar to setting yourself up for a strong turn in any race. Races are won and lost by hundredths-of-a-second at every swim meet. Many races come down to the last few strokes. At this camp, your swimmer will learn techniques to set themselves up for a well-timed finish when they are still about 10 yards from the wall.
FAST FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE SWIM CAMP - September 16 & 17
Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same body position, posture, rotation, and an early “catch” to move down the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso around their spine. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their freestyle and backstroke technique, racing and training skills!
- DAY 1: FREESTYLE DAY! (Sept 16)
- DAY 2: BACKSTROKE DAY! (Sept 17)
- Bodyline: On each day of this camp, participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core for better technique in freestyle and backstroke. Participants will learn how even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference in creating more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes - for faster swimming!
- Rotation: Freestyle and backstroke are fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming both strokes has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke they take! On Day 1 we will work on rotation skills for Freestyle and on Day 2 rotation skills for backstroke.
- Kicking: While similar, the kick is different in freestyle and backstroke. In both strokes the kick is the motor behind their races! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review on each day of this camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- Pull: The pull in both freestyle and backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. On each day of this camp, your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling your swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the freestyle and backstroke arm-pull keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
START TIMES FOR BOTH CAMPS
- Ages 9 to 11: Check in 9 AM. Camp: 9:15-11:45 AM
- Ages 12 & over: Check in 12:30 PM. Camp: 12:45-3:45 PM
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Andrew Appleby is a goldmine of information. He swims with precision and he has a talent for sharing his knowledge with others. Academic All-Big Ten and OSU Scholar Athlete, Andrew is a great swimmer to learn from at this FFT swim clinic!
Fitter and Faster clinicians are Olympians and National Team members who have achieved at the highest level of the sport of swimming... and who have the unique skill to teach what they know from a technical perspective to swimmers of all ages and abilities.
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!