White Bear Lake, MN
Past Clinic: 2022 Breaststroke, Butterfly & IM Turns Camp For 13 & Overs
Fri, Aug, 05 2022 - Sun, Aug, 07 2022
White Bear Area YMCA
2100 Orchard Lane, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of White Bear Lake, MN.
Montevideo High SchoolInfo
South Wood County YMCAInfo
Hutchinson Middle SchoolInfo
Veterans Memorial Community CenterInfo
Veterans Memorial Community CenterInfo
St. Cloud Area Family YMCAInfo
St. Cloud Area Family YMCAInfo
Fitter & Faster is producing a 3-day swim camp for swimmers ages 13 & older on August 5-7, 2022 in Twin Cities, MN. Click here for the 12 & Under camp page. SAVE when you purchase a "Full Camp Bundle"!
BREASTSTROKE, BUTTERFLY & TURNS CAMP
DAY 1: High Performance Breaststroke Technique (Check in 3:30 PM. Camp 3:45 to 6:45 PM)
DAY 2: High Performance Butterfly Technique (Check in 1 PM. Camp 1:15-4:15 PM)
DAY 3: Open Turns & Crossover Turns for IM Events (Check in 12:30 PM. Camp 12:45-3:45 PM)
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to only 24 participants to allow for the best learning experience.
DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE (Aug 5)
We want your swimmer to establish a well-timed breaststroke. Today we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips, a powerful kick and a long, flowing stroke.
- BODYLINE: A breaststroke race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. Elite breaststrokers focus on minimizing drag by “catching water” on their hands and feet as quickly as possible, so they can shoot back into a “straight bodyline” where they can glide at top speed.
- KICK: The kick creates a lot of the power in breaststroke. Swimmers need to keep their knees high in the water and snap their feet quickly around and back to create a powerful kick. Our clinicians will work with participants to strengthen their kick for the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: The name of the game in breaststroke is to create as much propulsion as possible in the pull while minimizing resistance… and then quickly getting back into a straight bodyline to establish a high speed glide. Participants at this session will focus on setting up a proper "catch" and keeping their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull. The techniques your swimmer will practice will minimize resistance and enable them to maintain forward momentum for the fastest breaststroke.
- TIMING: Fast, flowing breaststroke is the result of proper timing between a swimmer’s hands and feet. Establishing proper timing in your swimmer’s breaststroke will allow for more fluidity, power and speed. Participants in this session will learn how elite swimmers time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency and the fastest races.
DAY 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE (Aug 6)
We want your swimmer to establish a rhythmic butterfly. During this session, we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips and a long, more powerful butterfly stroke.
- BODYLINE: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes allow swimmers to have a more efficient and fluid butterfly. The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- BREATH: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
DAY 3: Open Turns & Crossover Turns For IM Events (Aug 7)
The turns throughout an IM are essential! During this session, participants will work with our elite clinicians on different IM transitions and underwaters to maximize momentum into and out of every wall!
- CROSSOVER TURNS: The back-to-breast transition has a couple of ways that swimmers can approach it. Our elite clinicians will work with participants to finesse their IM transitions and how to use the crossover turn to go from the backstroke to the breaststroke leg the fastest way possible!
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will work on transitioning all of their speed and momentum from the butterfly leg into their backstroke leg through a snappy, tight open turn. If swimmers go through the motions of an open turn or have bad technique, they can lose valuable time in a race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, the clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area