2021 High Performance Technique Summer Camp Series
Sun, Jun, 13 2021 - Fri, Jul, 23 2021
CENTRAL PARK AQUATIC CENTER/OCCOQUAN SWIM ACADEMY
10371 Central Park Drive, Manassas, VA 20110
2021 High Performance Technique Summer Camp Series – This series consists of 6 different 3-day swim camps plus a video analysis session. Sign up for as many camps as you choose. SAVE if you sign up for two or more camps and/or if you sign up multiple swimmers.
Each camp within this series will be divided into Groups based on time standards. CLICK HERE for time standards and session times.
Butterfly Comprehensive Racing Camp
– June 13-15: Groups A & B
– June 16-18: Group C
Breaststroke Comprehensive Racing Camp
– June 16-18: Group A
– June 21-23: Groups B & C
Backstroke Comprehensive Racing Camp
– June 27-29: Groups A & B
– June 30-July 2: Group C
Freestyle Comprehensive Racing Camp
– June 30-July 2: Group A
– July 5-7: Groups B & C
Starts Comprehensive Camp
– July 11-13: Groups A & B
– July 14-16: Group C
Turns Comprehensive Camp
– July 14-16: Group A
– July 18-20: Groups B & C
Elite Video Filming & Analysis
– July 21: All Groups
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum for each camp!
The Video Filming and Analysis Day is for swimmers of all ages and abilities.
Each Camp is divided into Groups based on the participant’s times. For Group Assignments AND Session Times >>> CLICK HERE
June 13-15: Groups A & B | June 16-18: Group C
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Day 1 will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On day 2, swimmers will work with clinicians to master butterfly racing skills including starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and turns. Day 3 will focus on executing different strategies for racing any butterfly event as well as a butterfly focused training set.
- DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE: Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- DAY 2: BUTTERFLY TURNS, UNDERWATERS, & FINISHES: After developing a strong butterfly stroke on day 1, participants will focus on refining the skills that will help them drop time in any race. Focusing on conserving momentum during a fast turn will allow your swimmer to rocket off each wall. Your Elite Clinicians will show participants how to capitalize on that speed with powerful underwater dolphin kicking to take their butterfly racing to the next level.
- DAY 3: BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED: Take your butterfly racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Your Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid butterfly foundation developed on the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any butterfly event. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
June 16-18: Group A | June 21-23: Groups B & C
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. Day 1 will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. The second day will strengthen key breaststroke racing skills including starts, turns, and pullouts. Day 3 will focus on executing strategies for faster racing from the 50 to 200 breaststroke as well as a breaststroke training set.
- DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE: More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- DAY 2: BREASTSTROKE TURNS, PULLOUTS, & FINISHES: After building a solid breaststroke stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills for faster racing in any breaststroke event. The breaststroke pullout is a powerful weapon for swimmers to travel a long distance while using minimal energy, and maximizing that movement will help your swimmer push further off every wall. Your Elite Clinicians will also show your swimmer how to finish each race with a fully extended stroke to help them accelerate past their competitors!
- DAY 3: BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED: After building a solid butterfly stroke on the first two days, swimmers will further refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. The Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any breaststroke race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
June 27-29: Groups A & B | June 30-July 2: Group C
This three-day comprehensive swim camp is focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on developing a strong and efficient backstroke technique. On day two, participants will refine their racing skills by developing their backstroke starts, turns, and finishes. Then on the last day, participants will take their backstroke to the next level by learning different strategies for racing as well as a training set.
- DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE: Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- DAY 2: BACKSTROKE TURNS, UNDERWATERS, & FINISHES: Mastering the details of a race makes the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so generating power with underwater dolphin kicking is a critical way to drop time. Swimmers will also practice backstroke turns and finishes at full speed to know exactly when to turn and when to lunge for the wall, timing each flip and finish for maximum extension.
- DAY 3: BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED: Take your backstroke racing to the next level by practicing different strategies for approaching any race. Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
June 30-July 2: Group A | July 5-7: Groups B & C
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this comprehensive freestyle racing camp! Each group will have three sessions: on the first day, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers. The second day swimmers will focus on refining their race details: starts, turns, and finishes. Then on day three, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a freestyle training set.
- DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE: As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Elite Clinicians will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- DAY 2: FREESTYLE TURNS, UNDERWATERS, & FINISHES: Swimmers will take their freestyle racing to the next level by emphasizing the small details that lead to big results. On each turn in a race or in practice, swimmers will learn to focus on having a compact flip, powerful push off, tight streamline, and explosive breakout. It's common for races to come down to the last stroke, and clinicians will work with your swimmer to make sure they have the right techniques to get their hand on the wall first!
- DAY 3: FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED: The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on days one and two.
July 11-13: Groups A & B | July 14-16: Group C
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Elite Clinicians will share their experience on how to practice and improve the start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- DAY 1: BLOCK STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Clinicians will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole
- DAY 2: BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES: Swimmers will build on the concepts learned on day one to further refine their starts specifically in backstroke and relay events. Backstroke starts can be difficult to master, but by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push off, and clean entry, participants will practice exploding off every start. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim and learning proper technique for relay exchanges will help your whole team!
- DAY 3: APPLIED RACING STARTS: On the final day of this three-day camp, swimmers will work on putting together the skills learned on the first two days into a fast and explosive start for every race. From the moment they step on the blocks through the start and breakout, swimmers will work on maintaining the power generated from the start into fast swimming.
July 14-16: Group A | July 18-20: Groups B & C
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? At this three-day camp, Elite Clinicians will lead participants through a series of drills to develop faster turns in any event. Your swimmer will learn to use each turn as an opportunity to accelerate into the wall and move past competitors while using very little extra energy!
- DAY 1: FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- DAY 2: OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- DAY 3: APPLIED RACING TURNS: On the third day of this comprehensive turns camp, participants will put together the skills developed in their flip turns and open turns. Going through the full approach, turn, streamline, and breakout will allow swimmers to maintain the speed and momentum and make each turn an opportunity to gain time on their competitors. Develop these skills to round out the perfect turn!
A great way to kick off a summer of swim camps is to have your stroke professionally filmed SIMULTANEOUSLY above and below water at strategic angles! THEN, have that video analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by our expert swim coach. This will give you an opportunity to see what you are currently doing and what you will need to work on over the summer with our elite clinicians. Registrants can have one, two or save by having ALL FOUR strokes analyzed!
- REGISTRATION: Participants will receive an e-mail a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain the order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have each swimmer swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke should take a little less than three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle simultaneously below and above water to get an accurate view of your swimmer's technique.
- ANALYSIS: Our expert coach will use a video analysis application to record their thoughts on your swimming. Swimmers can expect us to use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on their video all while talking to explain where each swimmer can improve their technique. Each stroke will have approximately 5 to 7 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- RECOMMENDATIONS: We will make recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer. He will assign specific drill videos in Swim Videos on Demand that he suggests the swimmer practice to improve. Each participant is getting a free month of Swim Videos on Demand to use to make their necessary stroke corrections.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 21 days of the clinic. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!