2019 Elite Swim Camp Series
Sat, Sep, 07 2019 - Sun, Sep, 08 2019
Chelsea Piers Aquatic Center
1 Blachley Rd, Stamford, CT 06902
2019 Elite Swim Camp Series (Stamford, CT) – This is an “Elite Camp” which means that each session is limited to no more than 36 participants. Sign up for individual sessions or ALL of them by clicking register now.
This high performance swim camp will focus on elite butterfly and breaststroke racing. The first day of each camp will focus on technique refinement and efficiency. The second day will focus on speed and tempo:
Your clinicians for each session will be Olympic Gold medalist, Tyler Clary and All-American Nils Wich-Glasen. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum at each session.
September 7 (11 & Under): Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-1:00 PM
September 7 (12 & Over): Check in 2:00 PM, Clinic 2:30 PM-5:30 PM
September 8 (11 & Under): Check in 2:30 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:30 PM
September 8 (12 & Over): Check in 5:30 PM, Clinic 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
There will be two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
September 7: Butterfly and Breaststroke Technique
Often called the short axis strokes, butterfly and breaststroke have many common attributes in their technique. What these two strokes share most is the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together can deepen a swimmer's understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- Butterfly: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. Many swimmers, even at an elite level, struggle with the timing and technique of the breath so that they can maintain the proper body position even on the last 50 of a 200 fly! Work with Tyler Clary and Nils Wich-Glasen to improve your butterfly at these sessions.
- Breaststroke: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle, and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
September 8: Butterfly and Breaststroke for Speed
Butterfly and breaststroke are all about rhythm and timing! The balance between distance per stroke and tempo in both of these strokes is delicate. It is very easy to rush through a cycle and throw off the technique. At these sessions, Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary and All-American Nils Wich-Glasen will work with participants to have the patience to keep their strokes long and then build their tempo throughout the race.
- Distance Per Stroke: Having long strokes in butterfly and breaststroke is extremely important. No matter what distance, swimmers should maintain maximum extension in order to get the most out of every stroke. Swimmers in this session will learn how they could take fewer strokes per lap and race faster through longer and stronger fly and breast strokes!
- Tempo: With both butterfly and breaststroke being so reliant on timing, many swimmers lose their efficiency as they increase their tempo! Learn what points of the stroke your swimmer should acclerate and which points your swimmer should be patient at each level of tempo.
- Pacing: Many swimmers simply fall apart at the end of their butterfly and breaststroke races due to fatigue. It is important for swimmers to build their tempo throughout the course of their race to keep their speed and technique at a high level. Participants at these sessions will learn tips and tricks to maintain their technique and race faster from the 50 to the 200 in fly and breast.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler and Nils questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler and Nils swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler and Nils, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!